Songs with “Duluth” in the lyrics or title

Abort Scene – “Born Pinned to the Duluth Wheel”
Atmosphere – “Shhh”
Autumn Leaves – “Back to Me”
Bullet – “Duluth Blues”
Will Branch – “Duluth”
Charles Atlas – “Duluth (Alan Sparhawk Mix)”
Chris Blanchard’s Band – “Duluth”
T-Bone Burnett – “Every Time I Feel the Shift”
Alice Cooper – “Remarkably Insincere”
Vic Damone – “Cincinnati Dancing Pig”
Darling Drive – “At a Loss”
Dave Rave and the Governors – “Duluth”
Da Yoopers – “I-500 Snow Machine Race”
De Elliot Bros. – “I Like it in Duluth”
Detroit – “I Like it in Duluth”
Bob Dylan – “Something There is About You”
Dylan Thomas – “Duluth Street”
Father Hennepin – “I Like it in Duluth”
Fattypants – “Blue Light Special”
The Feelin’ Band – “Bob Dylan Loves Duluth”
Fish Heads – “I Like it in Duluth”
Red Foley – “Cincinnati Dancing Pig”
Tennessee Ernie Ford – “Cincinnati Dancing Pig”
Giljunko – “St. Paul Caves”
Goats in Trees – “Midnight Road to Duluth”
Good Knight – “Duluth Minnesnowta”
Good Knight – “Two Eighteen (Duluth Minnesnowta Part II)”
Merv Griffin – “Christmas City”
Jim Hall – “Duluth Blues”
The Hoot Owls – “Scandinavian Hot Rod”
Dave Hudson – “Samson in Duluth”
Annie Humphrey – “500 Years”
Ian Gillan Band – “Clear Air Turbulence”
Idle Generican – “Go to Duluth”
The Jayhawks – “Life Floats By”
Mason Jennings – “Duluth”
Brian Just – “Duluth”
Brianna Lane – “Duluth”
Jay Leonhart – “Couple from Duluth”
Heller Mason – “Duluth”
Matt the Electrician – “Sad Lisa Waltz”
James Moors – “Welcome to Duluth”
Japancakes – “Duluth 7.5″
Little Black Books – “They’re Never Wrong”
The Magnolias – “Playing to Win”
Marty Marflow – “Duluth, St. Paul & Winona”
Meat Puppets – “Lake of Fire”
Moe – “Bring You Down”
The Moose Wallow Ramblers – “I Like it in Duluth”
Nicholas Mrozinski – “Bob Dylan Loves Duluth”
David Munyon – “Coffee in Duluth”
Josh Musikantow – “Duluth 99: Haiku”
Josh Musikantow – “Duluth 99: In the Garden with Mary”
Josh Musikantow – “Duluth 99: Rope”
Mystery Science Theater 3000 Cast – “What a Pleasant Journey”
Natural’grass – “I Like it in Duluth”
Jeb Loy Nichols – “Say Goodbye to Christopher”
Nirvana – “Lake of Fire”
Peter, Paul & Mary – “Love City (Postcards to Duluth)”
The Red Clay Ramblers – “Blue Duluth”
Luke Redfield – “Ides of May”
The Replacements – “Treatment Bound”
Jonathan Richman – “They’re Not Tryin’ on the Dance Floor”
Haroula Rose – “Duluth”
Sexhawk – “Duluth is Still Afloat (In Our Hearts)”
Claire Stewart – “Duluth, My Home Town”
The Stonemans – “Two Kids from Duluth, Minnesota”
Pierre Tanguay – “Madame Duluth”
Eric Thiegs – “Duluth”
They Might Be Giants – “Rabid Child”
Traditional rugby song – “In Duluth”
Trampled By Turtles – “Duluth”
VeggieTales – “I Love My Lips”
Vinnie & the Stardüsters – “Duluth”
Wet Dog – “Help Me Scream”
White Iron Band – “Drunk in Duluth”
Winterwood – “Duluth”
Frankie Yankovic – “Duluth Polka”
Yeltzi – “Duluth”
Luke Zimmerman – “Duluth”

I’ll keep adding them as I think of them. Nudge my memory in the comments.

happy_ignorant_itinerant

"Treatment Bound" by the Replacements We get a noseful from our so called friends. We're gettin' nowhere, quick as we know how. We whirl from town to town, Duluth to Madison Treatment bound ... "Lake of Fire" by the Meat Puppets I knew a lady who came from Duluth She got bit by a dog with a rabid tooth.

Barrett

Perhaps you should check out this book.

Oh Lordy, this is already out of control.

Barrett

Also: "Love City (Postcards to Duluth)" by Peter, Paul & Mary. They don't mention Duluth in the lyrics, but it's in the title, so that should count.

"Love City" makes the list. Nice job, Barrett. I've modified the headline of the post to be inclusive of songs with Duluth in the title but not the lyrics.

Mary

They Might Be Giants - Rabid Child ("Chess Piece Face and The Big Duluth call her every day...") Mystery Science Theater 3000 - What a Pleasant Journey ("The 5:15 from Duluth Oh my! It just derailed! The toxic waste is spillin', The conductor's been impaled. A benzine cloud has risen, and the whole town's startin' to cough. Within in a matter of daaaaaaays, All of our skin will fall off.")

Jim Myers

Rabid Child by They Might Be Giants; Chess Piece Face and The Big Duluth call her every day "Hammer down" and "rabbit ears" are the only words they know

Mel

Atmosphere - Shhh Lyrics (yeah he just lists places in the Midwest, haha): St. Cloud, Minnesota / Mankato, Minnesota / Duluth, Minnesnowta / Kansas City / St Louis, Missouri

udarnik

There is a traditional rugby song called "In Duluth."

ironic1

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1FGaCNN1aw "I Love My Lips" - VeggieTales

Ah, yes, thanks Udarnik! Oh the eagles they fly high in Duluth. Oh the eagles they fly high in Duluth. Oh the eagles they fly high and they shit right in your eye, Thank the Lord that cows don't fly in Duluth.

Jonathan Richman

What about Not Trying on the Dancefloor by me?

Jonathan Richman

they're not movin very much they just have that certain touch and that's really all there is to it if they don't feel it they won't do it like Centralia or Duluth well they're tellin ya the truth They're not tryin' on the dance floor no they're just movin slow

Matt Perrine

I don't know if this counts, but de Elliott Brothers also covered "I Like It in Duluth."

Jonathan, I'm not familiar with that song, but the Internet confirms it exists, so on the list it goes. Matt, thanks! I forgot that version. Now we're up to four!

edgeways

If you go here http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll and type in "Duluth" you'll get about ~20 songs with Duluth in the title.

ms dean

Trampled by Turtles' and Yeltzi's latest albums both have songs called "Duluth."

Matt Perrine

Totally forgot about this one: Nicholas Mrozinski of the Feelin Band’s "Bob Dylan Loves Duluth"

The Big E

We were deeply moved when we caught our 6 year-old singing along to "I Like it in Duluth" a couple weekends ago.

wild phil

is a PDD-sponsored mix cd/box set inevitable? i want one

Tony D.

I can't believe nobody has postd this one yet: The Jayhawks' "Life Floats By" "We hit Duluth on a jag, baby...."

banjoteeth

Wet Dog's "Help Me Scream" First Line: "I know a city it's called Duluth" There's also references to the NorShor AND it's sung by Jamie Ness, so that's about as Duluth as you get.

nick s

da yooper's I-500

Elias

No "Duluth" in the lyrics, but there's a real beautiful / haunting kinda-Christmas song by Holopaw that seems to be about the loss of certain sleigh over Lake Superior. You can hear a snippet at electricfetus.com, it's on the album "Quit +/or Fight". Couldn't find any lyrics online but here's my best shot at the relevant parts: Without a thought he said, "Go Dasher, go Dancer," and they dropped their heads disappeared into the cloud bank following those silver sparks gathering the distance between this chilly flood and sugar plums dancing. Those silver bells didn't make a sound when they fell to rest at the bottom of Superior. Just above earshot he said, "Go Dasher, go Dancer," and they dropped their heads disappeared into the Lake through the splintery ice into the slippery waters towards the falling embers... ...Remembers velveteen dust the season's first snow he's sorry to have left you but there was so far left to go and the lake was icing over... ...All is calm, all is bright and they're dragging the Lake with peppermint hooks...

purple

Kudos to Ironic for the Vegie Tales song.

boywonder

Are these referenced to Duluth, MN only? I would hate to share with our 'bizzaro friend' in Georgia.

Liz

Wow - what a list - thanks for this, everybody : )

eco eco

Don't think it was part of the regular lyrics and don't even recall the song right now, but at a show in Pequot Lakes, MN a few years ago, Greg Brown made reference to a "sadass up in Duluth."

c-freak

fattypants - blue lite special : "is it west duluth, is it lincoln park, the west end or spirit valley?...please tell me"

Dan Elsenrath

I did an interview with Ian Gillan of Deep Purple back in 2001 before a show at the Target Center. After the interview, Gillan asked me where I was from and I said "Duluth" ... to which he started singing "get in to Duluth, get in to Duluth." I asked him what that was from and he said it was a song from one of his solo albums from the 70s ... and he wrote it about a really rough plane ride that Deep Purple had taken for a gig in Duluth! Pretty cool huh? Anyway, the song is called "Clear Air Turbulence" by the Ian Gillan Band. Here are the lyrics: Get up Get right up Get it up Up in the sky White knuckles and blank staring faces Get a leg up head for them spaces Panic And confusion Electric voices Creating morbid delusions White knuckles and blank staring faces Get a leg up head for them spaces Ten thousand Astral explorers Head for the lights Ace cosmic tours Caught up in slow races Motionless jets in turbulent spaces Smooth blue sky Feeling high Turn back the page Peaceful as a bygone age Chariot to the sun Safe as a gun Get in to Duluth I've got it Now I'm learning A million souls Helplessly returning To blue dawn before the beginning Ancient bells are ringing

ms dean

My co-worker just played a song that has Duluth in the lyrics. Band is Autumn Leaves, song is Back to Me.

Merle

"Duluth" was also the title of a 45rpm single from 1977 by Winterwood, part of a WEBC sponsored "I Love Duluth" campaign. It is included on the Duluth Rocked compilation, "Volume 111 - Air Play." duluthrocked.com

Andrew Olson

I was waiting days to get into this thread... You forgot "Drunk In Duluth" by The White Iron Band. My favorite Duluth song!

Andrew Olson

And now I see it there... Sorry, before all I could read was through Vinnie..

Andrew Olson

Little Black Books: "They're Never Wrong"

swen

"Playing to Win" by the Magnolias off of Off the Hook (featuring Drummer Guy for those down with Common/Dan from Woodbury) "Hide away in Duluth/Hide away if you can; Go halfway 'round the world/Stand out in Japan"

Lauree

In Duluth I saw Christopher That's a place I'll never go again Foggy breath, coat buttoned up To keep away the winter wind You might think it was Georgia until you read the last two lines. The song is "Say Goodbye to Christopher" by Jeb Loy Nichols. From Duluth to Birmingham He's the pork chop Dapper Dan, He's the keenest ham what am, Cincinnati dancing pig I heard it sung in a Porky Pig voice on the 365 Music Project. The title of the song is "Cincinnati Dancing Pig".

Lauree

Almost forgot. I think the name of the song was "Scandinavian Hot Shot". In the old polka, the line is "He's a hotshot from Duluth".

heybiglive

moe. I don't want to go to Duluth I just want to leave this town I don't want to know the truth I just want to bring you down ... here with me I don't want to go home now I just want to go home soon

heybiglive

Name of the song by moe. is "Bring You Down'

kc

sad lisa waltz by matt the electrician it's a long way home from duluth minnesota in the ice and cold where the ships come in you can hear it on the sample here: http://www.pandora.com/music/song/matt+electrician/sad+lisa+waltz

Kim Curtis-Monson

Hey Paul, met you at the thing for Doug Hatten, we are the Fish Heads...we have two recorded versions of I Like It In Duluth...one with Natural'grass and the other with the Fish Heads...and of course we perform this all the time now when we play with John Berquist..the writer. I enjoyed hearing you guys at the Sacred Heart, too bad we could not have just been playing music for some other reason...like you said that night...it would be fun to jam sometime...thanks...:) Kim

Kim, I think you have me confused with someone else. I wasn't at the thing for Doug Hatten, I've never performed at Sacred Heart and I don't jam. But, ironically, my girlfriend has a Fish Heads album, and it got jammed in her car CD player the first time she tried to play it. Seriously. It wouldn't play and wouldn't eject. After a few months she eventually removed it with a tweezer. I've added the Fish Heads version of "I Like it in Duluth" to the list. Is the other one just Natural'grass, or is it "Fish Heads (with Natural'grass)"? Your use of "we" has me not quite sure.

Kim Curtis-Monson

Paul, sorry for the confusion...I guess I thought that was you, but hey...now I know it wasn't. Natural'grass is just on it's own...tell your girlfriend I'd like to get her another copy...if the CD doesn't work we have all our info on the cover just for that reason, in case . We make them at home, so sometimes that happens. Please let me know how I can do that. And thanks for the addition. I am enjoying this website...Chip Stewart from Amazing Grace is a very close friend and I heard about this from him and Dave Hopkins... Again, sorry about the confusion...you looked familiar from that setting. :) Kim

Kim Curtis-Monson

Paul, I think I may have met Lindquist...that's where the confusion is...does he play with the Fat Hens???? Kim

Kim, I think the CD works, it just got jammed. Lindquist isn't technically a member of Father Hennipen, but he was supposed to play with them at Homegrown until he broke a finger that morning.

baci

Kim, let's all get together @ carmody and work this all out .. I'll line up lindquist, lundgren and lunt so you can get your "L" named sceneirati straight. Then we'll make lundgren jam some Irish music

jay

Azure Du Jour has Duluth Blues, i think written by Jim Hall. lots of evil weather references to duluth. "you can't get nowhere when you're stuck in Duluth, and i'm still here, that's the sad truth. what can i say, my minds been shattered, 30 below nothin' else matters."

Kim Curtis-Monson

who's buying my pint????????

The Big E

"Duluth" doesn't appear directly, but these lines are plainly a Duluth reference--I'd never paid close attention to these lyrics before. Apparently Dylan's father, then 9 years old, lived at 221 Lake, a couple of blocks from the lynching site.

They're selling postcards of the hanging They're painting the passports brown The beauty parlor is filled with sailors The circus is in town Here comes the blind commissioner They've got him in a trance One hand is tied to the tight-rope walker The other is in his pants And the riot squad they're restless They need somewhere to go As Lady and I look out tonight From Desolation Row....

Good Knight

I have a song called "Duluth Minnesnowta" on my website. Check out some MN hip-hop!

Nick

In the song "Remarkably Insincere," off his Zipper Catches Skin album, Alice Cooper says, "My reputation for exaggeration, It never got to you? That's why I left Duluth, Sometimes I stretch the truth." He also mentions, on the album, getting a Porsche and leaving Grand Rapids, but given the man's connection to Detroit, I always figured this was the Michigan city he was referencing, and not the smaller Minnesota version.

ms dean

We just got an album at KUMD by a woman named Haroula Rose that features a cover of Mason Jennings' "Duluth."

HappyHippo

T-Bone Burnett has a song, "Every Time I Feel the Shift" that has the lyric: "It all comes down to a moment of truth, clock ticking in a soundproof booth. From Corpus Christi to Duluth, from Genghis Khan to Babe Ruth."

Meghann

sorry didn't read previous posts.

I'm not sure if there are recorded versions of this song in existance, but here's a Duluth song from 1916. (Duluth's Fairy Research Spy hopes a local band will release a rendition of this ditty in time for the August regatta.)

shannon

Veggie Tales - "I love my lips"

ms dean

Luke Redfield has a song called "Ides of May" that mentions Duluth (and rhymes it with vermouth) on his latest album, Tusen Takk. He was born in Duluth but grew up elsewhere in Minnesota. By the way, he's playing tonight, June 29, at Red Mug, tomorrow at the Brewhouse, and we'll have him live on KUMD today at 2 p.m.

about 1 year ago

And then there is this.

AliK

about 11 months ago

"The Begat" from the musical Finian's Rainbow contains a reference to Duluth (although whether it's Duluth, MN or Duluth, GA is unclear): "It was a-pleasin' to Jezebel A-pleasin' to Ruth. It pleased the League of Women Shoppers In Duluth." httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnC2byaKAOY