Quantcast

Paul Lundgren Posts

List of Old Bars in Superior

Photo by Jennifer Moore

Back in May, a collection of Superior bar memorabilia was briefly displayed at the Spirit Room. On a sheet of white paper, a list of old Superior bars was created, and folks passing through added to it.

Postcards from Arrowhead Cafeteria & Grill

This undated postcard, published by F.H. Lounsberry & Co. of Duluth, shows the exterior of the Arrowhead Cafeteria & Grill. The building was located where the Holiday Center is today.

Gallery of Defunct Duluth-area News ’Zines and Random Publications

From muckraking journalism to neighborhood fluff, sports and hobby content to political and spiritual propaganda, Duluth has seen its share of short-lived, themed newspapers and magazines. Previous posts on Perfect Duluth Day have delved into music ’zines and literary/arts ’zines; this post features the less (or bizarrely more) artsy publications.

“The Begat” from the musical Finian’s Rainbow

The 1947 Broadway musical Finian’s Rainbow featured the song “The Begat,” which included a reference to Duluth. It’s at the 1:24 mark in the clip above from the original Broadway cast album, featuring Jerry Laws, Lorenzo Fuller and Louis Sharp.

Postcard from Gooseberry Falls State Park

This undated postcard from Gallagher’s Studio of Photography offers a scene at Gooseberry Falls State Park.

Monthly Grovel: July 2019 Edition

(Enter the amount of your choice.)

In the past year — from July 2018 through June 2019 — the PDD Calendar published 8,045 Duluth-area events. Each one was edited by a human being before the “publish” button was pushed.

It’s a tremendous amount of work to keep up with all the submissions from the more than 1,000 organizations that have sent us info about their concerts, plays, seminars and cornhole tournaments. That’s why once a month we set our dignity aside and remind readers how much we appreciate their financial support.

Duluth View from Cascade Park in 1899

This photo from Detroit Publishing Company shows the view looking out from Duluth’s hillside at Cascade Park toward the Downtown area and Minnesota Point. William Henry Jackson is credited as the photographer.

The Library of Congress dates the image as circa 1902, but research by Mark Ryan for the story “W. H. Jackson’s Photographs of Duluth” for Zenith City Press puts the time of Jackson’s visit to Duluth as the summer of 1899.

The Felice Brothers – “Aerosol Ball”

The Felice Brothers note that “every tooth in Duluth is Baby Ruth-proof,” in this track from their 2016 album Life in the Dark.

Perfect Duluth Day NE IPA

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen had a toothpaste. The World Wrestling Federation had ice cream bars. Now Perfect Duluth Day has a beer.

Mystery Photo #94: Postcard of Bizarro Duluth

So … what we’ve got here is … um … an image that seems completely unrelated to Duluth, labeled upside down as Duluth. Can anyone speculate on what the folks at V.O. Hammon Publishing Company were thinking? What is this image actually depicting?

While it’s not technically a photo, it needs to be categorized as a PDD Mystery Photo nonetheless.

Postcards from Duluth’s Shipping Canal

There are a bazillion postcards of the Aerial Lift Bridge and various ships, but in this post the aim is to steer attention more to the shipping canal.

Gallery of Defunct Duluth Music ’Zines

As a companion to Perfect Duluth Day’s “Gallery of Defunct Duluth Literary and Arts ’Zines” we now present the local underground music news publications that once spread the gospel of local rawk and/or roll.

Trampled by Turtles – “Duluth”

The fourth studio album from Duluth band Trampled by Turtles featured this title track. Duluth was released on Oct. 30, 2008.

TBT plays Bayfront Park in Duluth on July 6.

Mystery Photo #93: A Hard Day

With some Mystery Photos, we know a lot going in. With this one, we know very little. Who is this little girl and why was this photo shot on such a hard day?

Dickson’s Lake Park Tourist Home

Dickson’s Lake Park Tourist Home is listed in Duluth city directories from 1951 to 1967 and Frank G. Dickson is listed as a resident going back at least to 1930.

The address was 1127 London Road, today the location of a vacant lot across the street from the Leif Erikson statue near the Rose Garden.