Fred W. Erickson, Duluth Grocer

This postcard image shows the Fred W. Erickson grocery store at 2029 and 2031 W. Third St. in Duluth.

The building was constructed in 1899 according to the St. Louis County assessor’s property details. It still stands; a current photo is below.

In recent decades the building has not had a noticeable commercial tenant.

Another old image of the building is shown above. It’s from the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections at the University of Minnesota Duluth’s Kathryn A. Martin Library and is listed as circa 1920.

Comments on the Perfect Duluth Day post “Mystery Photo: Duluth Grocers” indicate Gust Hjelm operated a grocery store at this location in the 1930s and ’40s. Decades earlier he was a clerk at the Erickson & Kjall grocery at 2001 W. Second St. Presumably the Erickson of Erickson & Kjall is the same Fred W. Erickson whose name is on the store that is the subject of this post.

Below is another 2024 photo of the building, attempting to mimic the circa 1920 shot.

1 Comment

Ghist1

about 1 month ago

Good stuff. That section of West Third Street used to get a lot of traffic, and was a main streetcar line before the rerouting of Piedmont Avenue and the construction of the Highway 2 entrance. This 1911 Streetcar map shows the line. 
  

Leave a Comment

Only registered members can post a comment , Login / Register Here

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!
Read previous post:
PDD Geoguessr Challenge #13: Duluth’s Sister Cities – Ohara Isumi, Japan

Duluth has five sister cities. The next five Geoguessr challenges will take a look at them one by one. The...

Close