Low drones the Garden

So, as many of you have probably heard, Low played the “Rock the Garden” show at the Walker Art Gallery on Saturday and caused a bit of a ruckus by playing just one 27-minute song.

Now MPR asks, “What do artists owe you?”

[email protected]

Hmmm.  Perhaps this would help correct the disappointment I have felt since "Drums."

Swan

Whoa, something challenging, thought provoking, daring, political, conceptual and controversial at a Modern Art Museum?

in.dog.neato

The Red Star version of One More Reason To Forget went well over 15 minutes...

A pittance compared to some Scarlet > Fire > Drums > Space > Drums > Space > Other One segue threads I've heard.

Folks just gotta have something to bitch about.

vicarious

Not enough cowbell?

in.dog.neato

Never! Enough! Cowbell!

If they played a half hour set, and each tune averages...four, four and a half minutes...a minute or so for tuning change and maybe a little banter...you'd be lucky to get an EP's worth of music if they broke it up and played several songs.

I don't understand why everyone is getting their panties in a twist...it's Low. You want twenty five songs in thirty minutes? You're better off with Minor Threat.

Herzog

Then there was this piece of literary criticism, so on point and profound, while tying the whole thing together...

"On Saturday the band, Low, played a single 27-minute song in a festival atmosphere, to questionable reviews, reminiscent of the reaction to Dylan in pre-Twitter days."

I think I'm gonna be sick...

andrew

I like short songs.

annefluke

Funny, at one point during the Bob Mould show I thought, "I wouldn't mind hearing Reoccurring Dreams right about now." But I guess that's only 15 minutes long. If they had played the extended dance mix, they coulda stretched it out to 25mn!

baci

Seriously, this goes to show what happens when a scene takes itself too seriously. Here's hoping there's a Spin or Rolling Stone writeup. ++Good Alan, Mim and Steve ... way to go!

Reed Fischer has a pretty good take on it in City Pages.

In defense of Low's "Waltz?"

Jim Richardson

"Maybe you should go out and write your own damn song, and move on."  -Low, "Plastic Cup"

Makoons

From your comments it sounds like this band is pretty prone to things like this. Not sure how people could be shocked about it.

Now if I went and saw Madonna for 150++ dollars and she played a 27-minute version of Like a Prayer I would be pissed.

Madonna does the opposite, playing medleys that include short versions of her hits. Of course, this should lead us to hope that Low will do a medley at its next show. That would wrap this up perfectly.