PDD Quiz: School Daze
Go to the head of the class with this week’s quiz, which looks at Duluth school buildings of yore. As with all topics related to local history, the Zenith City Press website and Minnesota Digital Library were indispensible resources.
The next PDD quiz will review September 2022 headlines; it will be published on Sept. 25. Submit question suggestions to Alison Moffat at [email protected] by Sept. 21.
Head of the class: A+ for you!
Better luck next time!
#1 Opened in 1895 as an elementary school, this West Duluth school is now an apartment building.
The Irving School was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992; read more about its history on the Zenith City Press website.
#2 This building, now the Smithville Apartments, was constructed in 1913 as a dormitory for which institution?
The Zenith City Press website has more on the Finnish Work People’s College here.
#3 The arches are all that remain of Old Main, the central building of this institution.
The building was destroyed by fire in 1993; read an account of trespassing in Old Main on PDD.
#4 The Superior National Forest headquarters are housed in this former school.
Riverside Elementary School closed in 1982.
#5 In 1949, the Duluth News Tribune said that the tower of this elementary school was “to West Duluth what the Eiffel Tower is to Paris.”
Read more about Longfellow Elementary School on the Zenith City Press website.
#6 This locally-famous architect designed Oneota Elementary School.
The building was demolished in 1973; read more about Oneota Elementary School on the Zenith City Press website.
#7 In what neighborhood was Whittier Elementary School located?
Read more about Whittier Elementary School on the Zenith City website.
#8 Though extensively remodeled, this 1889 building still exists (though it hasn’t been a school since 2011).
Read more about Lincoln Elementary School on the Zenith Press website.
#9 Until the 1930s, this school (demolished in 2017) followed the Gary Plan of year-round schooling and departmentalized school subjects.
Read more about the Morgan Park School on the Zenith City Press website.
#10 Though this school was demolished in 1968, the retaining wall remains at 1721 W. Superior St.
Read more about Adams Elementary School on Zenith City Press website.
Leave a Comment
Only registered members can post a comment , Login / Register Here