This undated postcard depicts a replica of the American Fur Company trading post at Fond du Lac, which opened in 1935 at Chambers Grove Park in Duluth’s Fond du Lac neighborhood and was demolished in the late 1960s.
The original fur post operated from 1817 to 1847 at the present-day site of Historical Park, just a bit downstream from Chambers Grove Park along the St. Louis River.
For more info about the trading post, read “American Fur Trading Post at Fond du Lac, 1826.”
The caption on the back of the postcard card reads:
In 1817, the American Fur Company, controlled by John Jacob Astor, began fur-trading business on the St. Louis River at Fond du Lac, now part of Duluth, which was in prosperous operation for many years. A number of Indian relics are on display in the Post, which was rebuilt in 1935.
Leave a Comment
Only registered members can post a comment , Login / Register Here