Downtown Duluth’s Bullseye building sold
The two-story white brick building in Downtown Duluth occupied by the Chinese Dragon restaurant, Bullseye Silkscreen & Embroidery and Old Town Antiques was sold in March for $1.65 million according to St. Louis County records. The building sits on the corner of Superior Street and First Avenue East. The three businesses use the addresses 108, 106 and 102 E. Superior St., respectively. The building’s general address is 101 E. Michigan St.
Fox 21 News is reporting the buyer is Hall Equities Group of Walnut Creek, Calif. A company spokesperson did not confirm what is planned.
Hall Equities is a familiar name in Duluth. The company acquired the corporate assets of ZMC Hotels in 2015, previously owned and operated by the Goldfine family of Duluth.
County records list the building as constructed in 1906. The image below, from the Kathryn A. Martin Library’s Northeast Minnesota Historical Center Collections, shows it as the Hotel Astoria in the early 20th Century.




A couple fun facts:
The Hotel Astoria, according to its ads, had “56 fine rooms” and in 1912 had been renovated to have hot and cold running water in the rooms, bath and electric lights. Special rate for the winter: $2.50 to 7.
On Jan. 14, 1914, the proprietor, Martin Smith, was apparently blackmailed for $5,000 … or extorted or something. The Black Hand was even mentioned! Here’s the text of the article on it in the DNT:
Another historical tidbit: Eddie Oswald’s Bar and Grill was located there circa 1950.
In early 2015, without the knowledge of citizens, the city administration was forging ahead with plans to build a $40 million library on that site. The plans were ultimately scrapped, but here is a glimpse of The Library That Never Was.
Update from the Duluth News Tribune: Plans for Duluth property still emerging after $2.6 million investment
The DNT reports Hall Equities Group purchased the parking lot at 112 E. Superior St. in July for $950,000. It’s the space adjacent to the Bullseye Building on the northeast. For many years the location was home to a Sears Roebuck & Co. auto service center. It later became the Muffler Clinic. The building was demolished in 2005.