Zenith Furnace Company was organized in 1902 and located on St. Louis Bay at 59th Avenue West. The company manufactured pig iron and byproducts of coal gas, ammonia and coal tar. In 1931 the company was acquired by Interlake Iron Corporation and was a source of steel during World War II for use in government defense equipment. It closed in 1962.
For more Zenith Furnace history, check out Zenith City Online’s page reproducing an excerpt from Walter Van Brunt’s Duluth and St. Louis County, Minnesota Vols. 1 – 3.
Below are various images from the Northeast Minnesota Historical Center Collections.
Leave a Comment
Only registered members can post a comment , Login / Register Here