Duluth Artist Workshops/Studios?

I’m wondering if Duluth has an open or rentable artist workshop space?  I play with metals, so it’s big loud noisy art; a place where painters quietly do their thing isn’t going to be right for me.  A place with a rentable oxyacetylene torch would be even more awesome. I already sent a message to the Duluth Art Institute but got no answer, so I’m hoping the people here can be some help. I currently have a “studio” set up in my dining room in my apartment … I’m sure the neighbors in my four-plex would be thrilled if I did my grinding somewhere else!

So, if you know someone/somewhere that has the space, or even know another avenue I can poke my nose down, please let me know!

Kerc

I'm not an artist, nor do I play one on TV. But can offer this suggestion: call the art departments at UWS, UMD or LSC. The people who work there will probably know how to point you in the right direction.

TimK

You will probably strike out with the colleges. I'd ask the Art Institute, the fine folks at Pineapple Arts or a real live artist.

HappyHippo

I sent a message to the Art Institute over a week ago, and never heard back. And I never heard of Pineapple Arts; I'll look them up and see if I can find more info. Sadly, I am the shyest person living in Duluth, so I don't know any real live artists. Or any fake ones. Or dead ones. :( But thank you for the suggestions, both!

Kerc

My thought is not that you would get space at the colleges, but that the professors would know who to call. And for the record, I wouldn't call either, I'd email for sure. I might follow up with a call when they didn't return my email.

samantha

Call me and I'll give you a contact: 733-7565.

Duluth Art Institute

The best way to contact the Duluth Art Institute is to get in touch with us directly - here is a list of numbers: http://www.duluthartinstitute.org/html/contact.html Unfortunately we don't have many studio rental options besides ceramics but we'd be happy to help trouble shoot with artists looking for space in the area. We also offer a program called "Artist Nexus" that puts artists (including shy ones!) in touch with other artists.