Tom’s Burned Down Café Fire

tom's burnt down bar

Fire at Tom's 5/19/1992

Nineteen years ago there was a fire. The rest is history!

View tomsburneddowncafe.com at your own risk. It is wicked good.)

The home page has a note indicating the place is for sale.

Man, owning that place could absolutely destroy my life.

Cory Fechner

Funny thing is that homepage hasn't been updated in at least a couple years - maybe longer..

Maybe they mean it's for sale in Secondlife.

Curly Endive

Looks like some math is wrong here boys, big time, unless I have a metal railroad stake driven through my skull by the forces of dynamite, or I'm in a parallel time warp, which is quite possible. For those of us transcending the era of the interweb, '82 is sadly... more than 19 years ago.  I have a hunch it was '92 instead. Which is still a long time ago, it means my 20th high reunion I won't be attending is coming on strong, like a multi-headed fire demon with forked tongue.

A few years back I met this Canadian in Mexico who claimed to have had way too much fun at Tom's when he was 18 one summer, many moons ago.  He said it used to be in a semi trailer or something, it must've burned not long after that.  Why the fuck wasn't I living at Tom's when I was 18? If life is short, but it keeps on going, then maybe it's really long.

Cory Fechner

yep typo... it was a 9 not an 8 in the photo caption for the year.  fixed it!  thx Curly.

I too have had 'way too much fun' at Tom's and in not so many moon ago.  Last summer for a matter of fact, and the summer before that and the summer before that..  well you get the jest..  Tom's is generally 'too much fun'... Be warned!

This is a Tom's state of mind a few years back.
[img]http://www.perfectduluthday.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Madeline-Island-Toms.jpg[/img]

dbrewing

We cheat the other guy and pass the savings on to you.

jay

I asked Tom how much he wanted to for the place last summer.  $400,000 plus inventory at cost.  Sale does not include the bartenders.

Sounds like a good deal. I'd estimate the property to be worth $100,000, the structure to be worth $0 and the Tom's Burned Down brand to be worth $17 million.

adam

I think you get all the animosity of the La Pointe city council for free, too.

La Pointe has a city council?

Brent Eagleburger

We went to see Joe Price a weekend before last at Tom's and wish to affirm hezza badly-ass dirty blues guitarist, highly underrated/requested in these parts, Iowa is a long way though.  I think I'll try canoeing over there from now on, doesn't look that far.  Maybe a raft made from coconuts tied off to the ferry?  Is Tom's lack of schedule all part of the shtick? Credit given thence to the Transistor.

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit"