Test your knowledge of Duluth’s western parks in this week’s quiz! As with the previous quiz on Duluth parks, Tony Dierckins’ and Nancy S. Nelson’s Duluth’s Historical Parks: Their First 160 Years was an indispensible resource. Historical images from the Kathryn A. Martin Library’s Northeast Minnesota Historical Collection were accessed through the Minnesota Digital Library, another excellent resource for local history buffs.
The next PDD quiz, reviewing this month’s headlines, will be published on April 25. Submit question suggestions to Alison Moffat at [email protected] by April 21.
You are parks proficient! Stellar job!
Better luck next time!
#1 The Good Fellowship Club, built in 1917 and razed in 1981, was located in this park.
A new Good Fellowship Community Center was later constructed in Morgan Park.
#2 The Duluth, Winnipeg & Pacific Short Line Park Tunnel runs beneath this peak.
Short Line Park isn’t actually a city park; it’s named for a former railway stop. Read more about Ely’s Peak tunnel in this Substreet article.
#3 This park was dedicated in May 2016 and offers mixed climbing and disc golfing.
The Duluth Crushed Stone Company formerly worked the quarry.
#4 Blackmer Park was named for C.F. Blackmer, the superintendent of this company.
Blackmer Park was platted as part of Morgan Park, which was constructed as a company town for U.S. Steel (of which Minnesota Steel was a subsidiary). Read more about Morgan Park on the Zenith City website.
#5 This park along the St. Louis River was once a favorite picknicking destination, with travelers arriving by steamship or train.
Read more about the history of Chambers Grove Park on the Zenith City website.
#6 The Waabizheshikana Trail (“The Marten Trail” in Anishinaabe) was formerly known by this name.
The trail was renamed in 2019 in honor of the Marten Clan that settled along the St. Louis River.
#7 The Riverside neighborhood, home to Riverside Park, was developed as a company town for this company’s workers and their families.
The Riverside Community Gardens between Industrial Avenue and St. Louis Court are also part of a public park. Read more about the Riverside neighborhood on the Zenith City website.
#8 Which elementary school stood in this park from 1920 until 1944?
Norton Park was originally platted as a park in 1915 and reverted back to a park after the demolition of the school.
#9 Walbank Park (listed as Wallbank’s Park by the City of Duluth) is an undeveloped green space named for Duluth’s first what?
Read more about Dr. S.S. Walbank on the Zenith City website.
#10 A park was established along Keene Creek in 1910 for this nearby school.
Irving Park was severely damaged in the 2012 flood; the recreation center building was demolished in 2014. Irving Elementary School is now an apartment building.
Leave a Comment
Only registered members can post a comment , Login / Register Here