Sprint coverage in Lakeside/Lester Park?

Does anyone have a Sprint phone in Lakeside/Lester Park? I’m with AT&T and its coverage has become almost non-existent in the past six months. I’m thinking about trying Ting, which uses an intriguing billing model, but it uses Sprint’s network and I don’t want to find out its coverage sucks too. Its map looks okay, but I was hoping that someone here could back that up with actual experience.

On a semi-related note, am I the only one in the country who can’t imagine paying $80 per month for a phone? I’m currently only paying $20 a month (no data) by having a line on my sister’s AT&T plan.

StrangeDamage

I switched to Sprint about a year ago and coverage is okay in my house in the Tioga/45th area I get 3 to 4 bars on my iphone.

nicolai

I live near Lester Park and get 3 to 4 bars as well.  I had some data issues a few months ago but it was because they were updating their towers.

Derek Montgomery

Can't help you on the Sprint stuff, but I'm an AT&T customer living on 50th and Idlewild and we had to get a Microcell.  I'd consider switching services, but I was able to reason my way to a free Microcell device so it worked out ok.  If you tell them your issues about connectivity, dropped calls, etc. etc. and say you want to remain an AT&T customer, they will offer some type of discount since it's better for them in the long-term to offer some discount for the Microcell to continue keeping you as a customer.  Worth a shot...

AT&T 3G MicroCell

Dorkus

Not all of us are lucky enough to leech off our sister to get an extra line on a family plan.

Even at the lowest-tier package with no data, it costs your sister more than $20 a month to have your phone on her line. Probably more like $35 including the fees unless she is splitting that package among six phones or so. Even then you are getting a pretty nice discount.

The only reason why I can justify paying even $70 a month for my phone is because of the data plan. Otherwise I would have the absolute bare-bones phone.

Fitz

I know I'm getting a great deal - she gets a pretty good employee discount that makes my extra line really cheap.  I used to pay $35 a month just for my landline.

I feel really cheap not wanting to shell out the extra money and I think I was whining in the hopes that others would whine with me.

The feedback about Sprint has been really helpful though.  And thanks for the Microcell tip, Derek.

MomAH

I've got TMobile in upper Lester/Lakeside (above Glenwood near 52nd) and it works fine most places in Duluth. I bought a TMobil pay-as-you-go phone  for $30 at a local big box store and I buy about $30 worth of minutes approximately every 6 weeks. The plan does not require buying monthly air-time, just minutes. No, I cannot imagine paying $80 a month for a cell phone. I don't even want to spend $50. I just want my phone to make needed calls. The TMobil phone has worked great for that. My husband has a pay-as-you-go AT&T phone that works fine around upper Lester.