Western Auto Supply Company of Duluth
The fancy booklet above is circa 1930. Western Auto Supply Company once occupied the building that is today known as the Center for Non-violence at 202 E. Superior St. in Duluth.
Below is info from the Archives and Special Collections and the University of Minnesota Duluth’s Kathryn A. Martin Library
Name: Western Auto Stores (1929-1962)
Variant Name: Western Auto Supply Company
Fuller Form: Western Associated Stores
Historical Note: The Western Auto Supply Company first appears in the Duluth city directory in 1929 located at 204 East Superior Street. It is described as a retail auto accessories store with Clinton V. Knutson as manager. In 1930 the address expands to 202-204 East Superior Street. In 1932 Frank W. Frommes is the manager. In 1950 the name changes to Western Auto Stores at 202 East Superior Street with a service department at 201 East Michigan Street. In 1956 Donald Rich. In 1957 Frommes returns as manager and the name changes to Western Associated Stores. In 1957 the address is 2101 West Superior Street. In 1961 and 1962 the address is 24 East Superior Street. The company is no longer listed in the business directory from 1963 on.
Note Author: P. Maus
At the time this booklet was published, Western Auto Supply had shops in 27 cities. There were six Minnesota locations, including three in St. Paul and two in Minneapolis.
Leave a Comment
Only registered members can post a comment , Login / Register Here
Paul Lundgrenabout 3 years ago