List of Bands that Have Played Head of the Lakes Fair in Superior

As the 2018 Head of the Lakes Fair gets underway, PDD presents a scattered list of bands that have played the festival in the past. Because … nostalgia.

Audio Pilot (July 14, 2018)
A Girl’s Journey (July 13, 2018)
The Most Wanted (July 12, 2018)
The Circuit Breakers (July 11, 2018)
Drop Tailgate (July 15, 2017)
A Girl’s Journey (July 14, 2017)
The Bugs (July 13, 2017)
Hell Country Truckers (Aug. 27, 2016)
Cherry Gun with Sherwin Linton and Cotton Kings (Aug. 26, 2016)
Shirts and Skins with Brody Olson Band (Aug. 25, 2016)
The Georgia Satillites with Rock-a-Billy Review (July 15, 2011)
Pure Prairie League with the Bugs (July 14, 2011)
Survivor with Crescent Moon (July 16, 2010)
Danielle Peck with Half Past 6 (July 25, 2009)
Lovin’ Spoonful with the Bugs (July 24, 2009)
Cracker (July 25, 2008)
Rodney Atkins (July 28, 2007)
Blue Oyster Cult (July 27, 2007)
Little River Band (July 29, 2006)
Jamie O’Neal (July 28, 2006)
Brenda Lee ( July 26, 2003)
Loverboy (July 27, 2002)
Blackhawk (July 26, 2002)
John Kay & Steppenwolf (July 28, 2001)
Trace Adkins (July28, 2000)
Soul Asylum (July 31, 1999)
Tracy Lawrence (July 30, 1999)
The Smithereens (Aug. 1, 1998)
Toby Keith (July 31, 1998)
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (Aug. 15, 1987)
“Weird Al” Yankovic (Aug. 9, 1985)
Merle Haggard (August 1984)
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (August 1984)
Booze Brothers Revue (August 1984)

Bands that have purportedly played the festival, but no one can pin a date to:

Loverboy (in addition to the 2002 show, there was maybe one pre-2000)
Jefferson Starship or Airplane (1997?)
Firehouse (1995?)
Foreigner (1993?)
Eddie Money (1992?)
REO Speedwagon (1987? 1991? 1992?)
Winger (1992?)
John Kay & Steppenwolf (in addition to 2001, there might have been a second show circa 1990)
Cheap Trick (1986?)
Mitch Ryder (1985?)
Charlie Pride (1985?)
Mickey Gilley (1980s?)
Eddie Rabbit (1980s?)
Molly Hatchett
Badfinger
Charlie Daniels Band
Randy Travis

If you’ve got others to add to the list, or dates, anecdotes or photos, well, that’s what the comment section is for.

waferdog

about 1 week ago

I believe you have the Foreigner year correct.  I am pretty sure REO Speedwagon was somewhere in the 91-92 range.

Also, if I remember correctly, Weird Al actually played two shows on that date.  One in the afternoon, one in the evening.

I have a cowbell that I had Blue Oyster Cult sign for me at the 2007 show.

JP Rennquist

about 1 week ago

REO Speedwagon was '89 or '90. I have a story about it that relates to getting drunk in the parking lot and an errant juice box. I remember it by my summer job because of who I went with. I guess there's a chance it was '88. Definitely not '91 or '92.

waferdog

about 1 week ago

REO was definitely at least 90.  So if not 91 or 92, then definitely 90.

JP Rennquist

about 1 week ago

'90 could be right. I feel like we need a ruling from a judge on this one.

ashcat_lt

about 1 week ago

There definitely was one of the Steppenwolf incarnations in the late 80s or early 90s.  Don't remember which year for sure, but I know I was there.

Heath Ashby

about 1 week ago

Smash Mouth canceled in 1998 and was replaced by The Smithereens.

girlfromnorthcountry

about 1 week ago

I know I saw .38 Special at the fair. Could they have opened for REO in '90?

T. Heinonen

about 7 days ago

I seem to recall that Merle Haggard performed in the early 80s and was pleased that he had included a mandolin hero of mine "Tiny Moore" with his band that year. Merle was doing a Bob Wills Western Swing set at each performance then. Played twin fiddles with Tiny as well as Tiny playing his 5-string Bigsby Electric mandolin.

Mitch Awlson

about 5 days ago

I went to the fair back in the '80s and Mickey Gilley was there and I think Eddie Rabbit was there too.

JP Rennquist

about 3 days ago

Girl from North Country,

I don't think .38 Special opened for them mainly because I don't remember seeing them. But, then again, I was hammered. I am still pretty stuck on the late 80s. But I would say 90 is possible. I don't think it was '91 or '92 unless that was a repeat performance.

There is an REO Speedwagon fansite with all of their tours and set lists from the last 40 years. But unfortunately it is incomplete. They don't list any appearances at the fair or in Superior, WI. So that was a dead end. I'm afraid we might have to dig through old microfilm of the Superior Telegram or DNT to get to the bottom of it.