Duluth National Bank, now the West End branch of U.S. Bank, was the subject of a “Where in Duluth?” post a month ago, focusing on its burglar alarm. Note that today’s burglar alarm is apparently not the original. It’s rounded at the top, while the one above is flat at the top.
The photo above appears to be circa 1922, which is when the building was built. The bank was founded in 1910, but was located across the avenue from this location.
Another random Duluth National Bank fact: It was the first bank in Duluth to have drive-through service, which opened in 1959.
The bank was purchased by First Bank Stock Corp. in the 1950s and later changed its name to First Bank West End. U.S. Bank burst onto the scene in the late 1990s.
Oh, and of course it should be mentioned that the president of Duluth National Bank was killed by a “crazed invalid” a month before the modern building opened.
Dr. William Eklund became the next president of Duluth National Bank.
Melin & Landin Furniture was next to Duluth National Bank.
The West End edition of The Duluth Sunday News Tribune gave plenty of ink to the bank opening.
Note that in the paper’s photo of the bank there is no burglar alarm.
And how about those awesome doors?
Leave a Comment
Only registered members can post a comment , Login / Register Here