Minnesota Deer Hunting Opener 1907

nimrods1907

Good luck this weekend, nimrods!

ironic1

The pejorative sense of the word is a recent phenomenon, dating back to the 1920s or 30s.  Nimrod was the name of a mighty hunter in the Bible and came to mean any hunter.  When Bugs Bunny sarcastically referred to Elmer Fudd as a "nimrod" in the 1930s and 40s he was using the traditional sense of the word and the emerging sense of the word.

Ain't language fun?

TimK

I have a friend in rural Wrenshall who uses purple and orange spray paint to keep the skilled nimrods from shooting his cows.

Hot Shot

I will be in bed, nice and toasty. Have fun in the woods.

W.T.F

Nimrod: "One who is stealthy in the woods."

dbb

Thanks.

Should we take this to mean you won't be freezing in the woods this weekend?

Michele

Nimrod, small blip on the map north of Staples/ Wadena, the only restaurant in town used to have Finnish music on the juke box. The town bar had bullet holes in the wall where Hank unloaded his 6 shooter after having his wife threatened by a local yokel. Fond memories of the characters I got to know when I lived there.

That's my take on Nimrod, and yes, I always thought it was named after the hunter of biblical renown.

hbh1

Please don't shoot me, ya nimrods!!

W.T.F

@hbh1, Not to worry a nimrod by definition would not shoot you. You got to look out for the non-nimrods -- they are the ones who shoot cows painted purple cause they thought it was a deer.

Apparently there was/is some kind of glitch in the computerized licensing system. There's was a line of people trying to get hunting licenses at the Holiday Stationstore in West Duluth this afternoon, and the wait was looooong.