Forty years ago today — July 30, 1982 — the Duluth Herald newspaper was published for the last time. The first issue was published April 9, 1883, and its cover appeared as artwork on the final edition.
In 1929 the owners of the Herald purchased the Duluth News Tribune and continued to publish both papers, with the Trib delivered in the morning and the Herald in the evening. That continued for 53 years until the papers merged into the Duluth News-Tribune & Herald in 1982. The hyphen and the “& Herald” were later dropped from the name. The Duluth News Tribune, of course, carries on today with daily digital issues and twice-weekly print editions.
Featured in this post are a few snippets from the last Herald.
Leave a Comment
Only registered members can post a comment , Login / Register Here