The building at 310 Tower Ave. in Superior — known in modern times as the home of Frankie’s Tavern — is the subject of a feasibility study to determine the cost of saving it. The Superior Telegram reports it was built as a theater.
According to the website Cinema Treasures, the Theatre Princess opened in 1913. It closed in 1929 to remodel and opened as the Princess Theatre in 1930.
“In 1952, the Princess Theatre was closed and remodeled again, reopening as the Superior World Theatre,” Cinema Treasures contributor Bryan Krefft wrote. “It closed a few years later, and by 1958, it had been converted into a photography studio. It has housed Frankie’s Tavern since the 1970s.”
Frankie’s closed in 2015 and has been vacant since then. The Telegram reports the building has been owned by Douglas County since 2019.
The city of Superior conducted the study to determine the cost of restoration. Total project costs were estimated to be more than $2 million.
Leave a Comment
Only registered members can post a comment , Login / Register Here