This 1960s-era postcard shows off the Social Science Building on the University of Minnesota Duluth campus. Today the building is known as Cina Hall and serves as home to numerous liberal arts programs. It was renamed in 1985 in honor of UMD Regent Fred A. Cina, and underwent a $4.1 million renovation in 2016.
The info on the back of the postcard reads:
The modern lines of the Social Science Building on the new Duluth Campus of the University of Minnesota symbolize the functional beauty of buildings already constructed on the 200 acre campus which overlooks Lake Superior. By 1970, almost $25,000,000 will have been spent on all-new facilities for an expected 4,000 student enrollment.
Today UMD’s website reports enrollment at 11,168 students.
According to UMD’s Building History Gallery, the Social Science Building was designed by the Duluth architectural firm Melander, Fugelso and Associates. Construction was completed June 25, 1959.
Leave a Comment
Only registered members can post a comment , Login / Register Here