Quantcast

Funding agreement in place for St. Louis River cleanup

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Steel Corp. announced an agreement yesterday to undertake a $75 million cleanup and restoration project at the former Duluth Works site on the St. Louis River at Spirit Lake in Duluth. This is part of a larger effort to restore the St. Louis River Area of Concern through the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative.

The project includes dredging 700,000 cubic yards of contaminated sediment and building three on-site confined disposal facilities. The plan also calls for constructing an engineered cap over 100 acres of estuary sediment and creating a new 30-acre sheltered bay. Design work is expected to be finished in December.

The Spirit Lake project is being completed under the authority of the EPA’s Great Lakes Legacy Act, with U.S. Steel providing 55 percent of the total project cost and the EPA providing the remaining 45 percent. Construction is expected to begin in 2019.

For more information visit the Spirit Lake Legacy Act Cleanup page on epa.gov.

2 Comments

Joe Nease

about 1 year ago

Hope the LS&M railroad tracks are re-installed afterword as part of the project.

mnqueenb

about 10 months ago

Um ... I am not sure if this is includes where I take my dogs swimming but I would like to know. I take them to the river just before the Oliver bridge. Under the tracks/bridge along the old tracks that I believe are still used for the train rides in the fall that start at the Zoo. (I know it is vague, but I do not know how else to explain where). I want to say around Mud Lake but definitely in Gary. Anyway, the reason I am curious is because my dog, who is a lab/chesapeake mix, has been known to pull old brinks out of there ... after the last storm we had, I found huge chunks of granite as well. I just love that area and love taking my dogs there, it is so beautiful. I could not come up with an actual photo, sorry.

Google Map

Leave a Comment

Only registered members can post a comment , Login / Register Here

Read previous post:
Craft cider coming soon to Duluth

Duluth will soon have its first, and second, hard cideries. Duluth Cider is planning for a mid-to-late September opening date,...

Close