The cribbage board above might not have been made in Duluth, but the box it came in was manufactured at 4902 Oneota St. in West Duluth.
Peter J. Van Vick got his start in the paper box trade at the end of the 19th Century, when he started a cigar factory in Downtown Duluth. He founded the Minnesota Cigar Box Company in 1896 and later bought the Duluth Paper Box Company.
The photo above is from the Duluth Paper Box facility at 36 E. Michigan St. The Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections in the Kathryn A. Martin Library at UMD date the photo from 1926, noting “Van Vick is pictured here in the white shirt and tie, also in the photograph are Van Vick’s sons Russell T. and Roger J. Van Vick.”
At some point later Duluth Paper Box Company moved to 4902 Oneota St., where it remained at least into the 1950s. Along the way the name was changed to Van Vick Paper Box Company.
The photo above of the West Duluth factory, also from the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, is undated.
Below are a few clips available from Google Books search results.
From Walter Van Brunt’s Duluth and St. Louis County, Minnesota; Their Story and People, Volume 2:
From a 1921 issue of The Sheers: A Journal of Information for the Paper Box Trade:
An advertisement from The Train Dispatcher, 1950:
Leave a Comment
Only registered members can post a comment , Login / Register Here