An old promotional flyer for excursions on the “world famous Twin Ports Harbor and Lake Superior.”
Above is a postcard photo of the Chicago Queen. The Streamliner can be seen in a postcard featured in the PDD post “A Thrilling Sight.”
According to an article in the Aug. 13, 1972 issue of the Winona Daily News, the Chicago Queen was built in 1942 for the U.S. Navy and used as a ferry boat. It was purchased as war surplus in 1949 by George Martin of Chicago, who “made it into an excursion boat by adding the pilot house, restrooms and upholstered seats.”
It was used in Chicago for about eight years before “it was purchased by a Mr. Hagen who operated the boat in the Duluth area for eight more years.”
Bob Weber of Bayfield acquired it from Hagen and used it about four years before it became an excursion boat on Lake Pepin. Where it’s been the past 45 years is not known. Online references to the Queen Chicago on Lake Pepin seem to span 1963 to 1974.
Leave a Comment
Only registered members can post a comment , Login / Register Here