At Loon’s Foot Landing in Superior’s Allouez neighborhood, near the mouth of the Nemadji River in the Allouez Bay Channel, stands the remains of the Northern Pacific Ore Dock — built from 1912-13; abandoned by 1970. In July, Liftoff Aerials sent the PDD Drone up to have a bird’s-eye view of the old concrete-and-steel structure.
The rail connection to the dock was removed in the 1980s and various other parts have been gutted over time. As shown in the video, the dock is not far from a cluster of inactive Great Northern docks and the active Burlington Northern Santa Fe Dock 5, the Twin Ports’ largest taconite transshipment facility.
The photos above are from Philip Schwarz’s Photography Blog, shot in 2015.
More recently, Dan Turner explored the inside of the dock on his Substreet blog. One of his images is below.
Leave a Comment
Only registered members can post a comment , Login / Register Here