Call for Art: “Strange Objects”
Prøve Gallery announces an open call for submissions for the show “Strange Objects.”
Prøve Gallery, Duluth, Minnesota’s independent and artist run contemporary gallery is proud to announce “Strange Objects,” opening March 9, 2012. Strange Objects will showcase pieces that are the product of performance, a performance process/action, or an unusual, unnatural, and intense process. The type or style of art is not important, but the reason for the object’s existence is.
Show Description: “Strange Objects” will explore what is physically left over from a piece of art that utilizes some kind of action, process, or performance. The piece of art cannot be the main focus of the original work but must be the product of the original act. An example would be the Han dynasty urn from AI Weiwei’s “Dropping a Han Dynasty Urn.” Prøve seeks to display the “left overs” of the act along with a description of the original act as a way for the art community to understand the importance and vitality of performance in contemporary art.
Prøve Gallery: Prøve Gallery is a cultural organization dedicated to the role of art exhibition as a conduit of powerful ideas and diverse viewpoints. Our mission is to foster a greater appreciation of the contemporary arts, to bridge cultures, create and expand community, and provide cultural exchange, networking opportunities and educational outreach through regular interaction with the contemporary arts. It is the goal of PRÃ˜VE Gallery to present monthly gallery shows, collaborate with like-minded artists and arts organizations, and provide an arts retail environment.
– Any form and style of art is acceptable. A video simply documenting the performance is not, however.
– Work cannot exceed 8′ wide and deep, and 10′ tall.
– Work hung on the wall cannot exceed 10′ tall. These works should also be supported by conventional means and must be able to be supported by a standard residential wall.
– Gallery staff will be installing all pieces.
– Work MUST be complete and ready for installation at the time of submission.
– Work hung from ceiling cannot exceed 50 pounds.
– Work displayed on the floor must be free standing and cannot be attached to the floor.
All application materials must be submitted in English. We provide publicity, exhibition invitations, mailings, and an opening reception. We do not provide insurance coverage for work exhibited at Prøve Gallery. Prøve Gallery claims a 40% commission from all work sold while at Prøve Gallery. All work is shown at the artist’s own risk. All work shipped to Prøve Gallery must have paid return shipping.
Email submissions to [email protected] or mail with enclosed return postage to
21 North Lake Ave
Duluth, MN 55802
– Artist Statement as a pdf and statement for each submitted piece if needed.
– Artist Resume as a pdf.
– Up to ten images or video of work for consideration in pdf or jpg format.
– Submission due by Feb 27, this is not a postmark date but an arrive by date,
– Selected artists will be notified by the end of the day on Feb 28.
– Drop off dates are March 1st through the 3rd from 3pm-7pm.
– “Strange Objects”, will have its opening reception on March 9 from 7pm to 11pm.
– Pick up will be March 29 through the 31 from 3pm-7pm.
Any questions can be directed to Steven J Read, [email protected]
Leave a Comment
Only registered members can post a comment , Login / Register Here
wingsofjudasabout 11 years ago