Putting out my shingle?

My husband and I are returning to our Minnesota roots by moving to Duluth in the next week or so. I’ve been a piano teacher for 16 years now. I’ve got friends and contacts in Duluth that keep assuring me that if I “put out my shingle” I’ll have a full studio in a snap.

What I can’t figure out is how exactly I do that. In my old neighborhood in Chicago I made a pretty flier and put it on people’s doorstep the first year I taught — after that it’s been word of mouth.

Anybody have any ideas for me?

Dave Sorensen

Craigslist? Pretty flyers in strategic locations  sound good. Maybe an ad in a local weekly paper.

zra

I hear a hunnert bucks'll gitchya a week of some pretty sweet advertamitizin space right here on the PDD.

Claire

Also talk to the music faculty at UMD, UWS, even the local middle and high schools.. I am sure students are always asking them for recommendations.

TopOfTheHillMan

Try getting on staff at the Duss Music Conservatory.  They have had a good reputation in town forever and of course will have a client list already built in.

Claire

Is Duss still around? I remember going to student performances when it was housed in that splendid mansion on Greysolon Rd or nearby.

Icantbelieveitsnotben

Make up a flyer and stick it at Luce, The Electric Fetus, The Vinyl Cave, Ragstock, Jitters, The Amazing Grace, Schmidt Music, Music-Go-Round, Local bars and venues as well as other places frequented by music lovers and makers.

Also, as a former student, I'd be more than interested in doing some re-learning!

emilymoesewco

Well drop me an email, notben! [email protected]!

Great ideas! Thanks so much!

As far as I understand, Duss closed, leaving a host of piano students wandering around looking for a teacher.

My other problem is that I need a studio space. Any ideas about that? I just need a room. I've got the piano!

Beverly

If you post your info. here, I can pass it along to home-schoolers. Rates, phone number, hours, policies, etc.

Claire

I saw an ad up on the door next to Electric Fetus, apparently there's a studio available upstairs for a good rent. I know the artist who used to work there. You could also check with the nice folks in Superior, in the building with Red Mug in it.

emilymoesewco

Ok! I through together a quick website!

Here's my info!