- This event has passed.
Christmas City of the North Parade 2022
The Christmas City of the North Parade has been an annual holiday tradition in Duluth for six decades. It features marching bands, dance performances, colorful floats and an appearance by Santa Claus. This year’s parade begins in front of the Fitger’s Brewing Complex at Sixth Avenue East and marches on Superior Street to Fourth Avenue West.
The parade is broadcast live on KBJR-TV channel 6.1 and online at kbjr6.com.
Parade units will begin lining up at 4 p.m. on London Road between 10th and 14th avenues east, and buses will be staging on the upper side of London Road from 14th to 17th avenues east.
Marching bands and dance groups will exit the parade route at Fourth Avenue West to buses waiting on Michigan Street. Floats will dismantle on the 400 block of West Superior Street and exit the area at Fifth Avenue West.
At 4 p.m. London Road will close to traffic from 10th to 14th avenues east for parade line-up. Sections of 12th and 13th avenues east and the 1300 block of Jefferson Street will also close for parade line-up.
Superior Street from Eighth Avenue East to 12th Avenue East will close to traffic at 5:30 p.m., and Superior Street from Eighth Avenue East to Fifth Avenue West will close to traffic at 5:45 p.m.
Michigan Street will close at 6:15 p.m. to all traffic, except for buses and local residents. Vehicles exiting Michigan Street lots and ramps during the closures will be directed to exit the area by driving south to the Fifth Avenue West offramp.
Due to construction this year, vehicles will not be allowed to enter the Fitger’s ramp and Pickwick parking lots after Superior Street closes at 5:45 p.m. Vehicles will be allowed to exit these lots until 6:30 p.m. After 6:30 p.m., vehicles parked in the Fitger’s ramp and Pickwick lots will not be allowed to exit until the parade ends.
Downtown traffic should return to normal by approximately 8:30 p.m.
Motorists should be aware of no parking areas in Downtown Duluth and along London Road. Vehicles parked in those areas will be tagged and towed.
- No parking after 10 a.m. at posted meters in front of the Pickwick Restaurant.
- No parking after noon at meters on the upper side of Superior Street near Fitger’s.
- No parking after 3 p.m. on both sides of London Road, from 10th to 14th avenues east.
- No parking after 3 p.m. on the upper side of London Road, from 14th to 17th avenues east.
- No parking after 3 p.m. on 12th and 13th avenues east, from London Road to Superior Street.
- No parking after 3 p.m. on Jefferson Street from 13th to 14th avenues east.
- No parking after 3 p.m. on in the Rose Garden parking lot.
- No parking after 4 p.m. on Michigan Street from Fifth Avenue West to Fourth Avenue West.
- No parking after 5 p.m. on Superior Street from 10th Avenue East to Fifth Avenue West.
DTA buses will use First Street between Fifth and Third avenues east for all routes.
Jefferson Line buses will have access to the Duluth Transportation Center on Michigan Street to load and unload passengers.
Eastbound Superior Street traffic will be detoured at Sixth Avenue West to eastbound Second Street. Westbound Superior Street traffic will be detoured from London Road at 14th Avenue East and from Superior Street at 12th Avenue East to westbound Third St. Tenth Avenue East will close to traffic from First Street to Superior Street.
Lake Avenue will close between First Street and the Interstate-35 ramps on the Lake Avenue Viaduct at 5:45 p.m. All Interstate-35 ramps at Lake Avenue will remain open during the parade, but will only be accessible from the Canal Park side.
Access to Canal Park, Park Point and the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center will be via southbound Fifth Avenue West to Railroad Street. All Interstate-35 ramps at Fifth Avenue West will remain open.
For the convenience of the thousands of people who converge in Downtown Duluth for this annual event, the following parking ramps will offer free parking after 5 p.m. Friday:
• Fourth Avenue Auto Park — 402 W. Michigan St.
• Duluth Transportation Center — 228 W. Michigan St.
• Civic Center Ramp — 410 W. First St.
• Tech Village Ramp — 10 E. First St.
• HART Ramp — 122 E. First St.
• Medical District Ramp — 302 E. First St.
• Fitger’s Brewing Complex — 600 E. Superior St.
• Phoenix Parking Lot — 98 N. Fourth Ave. W.
• St. Luke’s Hospital Ramp — 1020 E. First St.
• St. Luke’s Employee Parking Lot — 119 N. 12th Ave. E.
Entrance to the Michigan Street ramps will be limited after 6:15 p.m., but vehicles will be able to exit them throughout the parade.
Downtown parking meters will be free after 5:30 p.m., but there is no parking along the parade route on Superior Street.
Drivers should remain alert to pedestrian and parade traffic, be aware of no-parking signs, and use caution when driving in the area of this event.