The Davidson Windmill is in Lakeside, Wis., about 20 miles southeast of Duluth and six miles east of Superior on Wisconsin Highway 13. It was built between 1900 and 1904 by Jacob Davidson on his 80-acre homestead. The mill operated until 1926. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 and donated to the Old-Brule Heritage Society in 2001.
The grounds are open to the public, and guided tours inside the windmill and the adjacent Eskolin dove-tailed loghouse are available periodically.
A book about the history of the the windmill is available from Old-Brule Heritage Society for $8 plus $2 shipping. It is titled, “The Davidson Windmill: The Natural and Historical Setting and Significance of the Finnish-American Landmark.”
Leave a Comment
Only registered members can post a comment , Login / Register Here