Motorcycle recommendations

I’m looking into buying a motorcycle after several years of not riding. I think that a bike between 650 and 1000cc would be big enough. I have been looking at cruisers such as Yamaha V Stars, Kawasaki Vulcan and Honda Shadows and other similar bikes. I have a budget of about 3000. Any recommendations on a reliable comfortable use bike? There are so many more styles and makes since I rode last, it’s overwhelming. Thanks

Swan

Honda CB750K models 1969-76 are cheap, plentiful and reliable. The first superbike, a classic.

Vicarious

Agree with Swan. Any CB from 74 to 82ish is great. Easy and cheap to work on. And reliable.

I also recommend Kawi's of the same vintage, especially the shaft-drive KZ's from 79 through 82.

Yamaha... Not so much.

Harley? Hardly.

deafyet

Hey, what about the Yamaha xs650? It's as venerable a Japanese mount as any mentioned so far.

If you have 3 grand to spend, try for something fuel injected, the advantages cannot be overstated.

shiny simon

You should be able to find plenty of Japanese cruisers in that range.  I don't know if there are any huge advantages from one over another. I bought a Honda Shadow 1100 after getting back into motorcycling.  It lasted me one year then I had to get rid of it.  The thing was rock solid as far as reliability, but power, handling, & excitement was lacking. And loud as hell.  After listening to that thing for 13,000 miles I'll never own a loud bike again.  (stock exhaust is fine though, this one had an aftermarket)  It was so low tech it didn't have a tach or fuel gauge.

All right, I'll stop ripping on cruisers, I just not a big fan of the segment.  A Suzuki V-strom 650 is an excellent bike for the money, if you decide to look beyond cruisers.

Brandon

I know that it's a little bit more than what you have to spend, but it doesn't hurt to try.

97 Harley Sportster 1200 cc custom 33,000  miles
purple flame custom paint, lots o chrome, lots o extra parts
$6000 or BO 628-1385

zra

@ brandon: he wants a bike to *ride*...not fix.

B-man

@ brandon-you are about $2k over blue book

@ the OP -the cheaper the bike the more work it will need. Remember a car that breaks down will leave you on the side of the road, a bike that breaks down may leave you off in the trees.  Good luck and happy hunting.

c-freak

I've been riding Harley's for years. Never had a problem.

zra

@ cfreak...yeah, i know. just a dig. just a dig. ain't no thing but a chicken wing...

Baci

Zra, you downin my goldwing?

[img]http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/baci/DSC00081.jpg[/img]

zra

oooh! two birds with one stone...

i'd actually like to get my mitts on a bike an old boss had...a Suzuki RE5 rotary...for the novelty.

there are a couple of sweet triumphs running around town that i have expended a significant amount of drool over. my own foray into cycling was with a 68 BSA Lightening. great for ripping around Seattle, but bad for the repair budget...

deafyet

33K on a sporty, that's maintenance waiting to happen my friend. I've got a bridge I could sell ya!

Doug S.

Thanks for all the input - It will help in making a decesion.

Stay alert and have a safe summer.