- This event has passed.
Christmas City of the North Parade 2019
The Christmas City of the North Parade has been an annual holiday tradition in Duluth for six decades. It features marching bands, dance performances, colorful floats and an appearance by Santa Claus.
The parade starts at 6:30 p.m. in front of the Fitger’s Brewing Complex at Sixth Avenue East and Superior Street and continues along Superior Street to Fourth Avenue West.
The parade is broadcast live on KBJR-TV channel 6.1 and online at kbjr6.com.
Parade units will begin lining up at 4 p.m. on London Road between 10th and 14th avenues east, and buses will be staging on the upper side of London Road from 14th to 17th avenues east.
Marching bands and dance groups will exit the parade route at Fourth Avenue West to buses waiting on Michigan Street. Floats will dismantle in the 400 block of West Superior St. and exit the area at Fifth Avenue West.
At 4 p.m. London Road will close to traffic from 10th to 14th avenues east for parade line-up. Sections of 12th and 13th avenues east and the 1300 block of Jefferson Street will also close for parade line-up.
Superior Street from Eighth Avenue East to 12th Avenue East will close to traffic at 5:30 p.m., and Superior Street from Eighth Avenue East to Fifth Avenue West will close to traffic at 5:45 p.m.
Michigan Street will close at 6:15 p.m. to all traffic, except for buses and local residents. Vehicles exiting Michigan Street lots and ramps during the closures will be directed to exit the area by driving south to the Fifth Avenue West off-ramp.
Due to construction this year, vehicles will not be allowed to enter the Fitger’s parking ramp and Pickwick parking lots after Superior Street closes at 5:45 p.m. Vehicles will be allowed to exit these lots until 6:30 p.m. After 6:30 p.m., vehicles parked in the Fitger’s ramp and Pickwick lots will not be allowed to exit until the parade ends.
Downtown traffic should return to normal by approximately 8:30 p.m.
Motorists should be aware of the following no parking areas in Downtown Duluth and along London Road. Vehicles parked in these areas will be tagged and towed.
- No parking after 10 a.m. at posted meters in front of the Pickwick Restaurant.
- No parking after noon at meters on the upper side of Superior Street near Fitger’s.
- No parking after 3 p.m. on: both sides of London Road from 10th Avenue East to 14th Avenue East, the upper side of London Road from 14th Avenue East to 17th Avenue East, Jefferson Street from 13th Avenue East to 14th Avenue East, and the Rose Garden parking lot.
- No parking after 4 p.m. on Michigan Street from Fifth Avenue West to Fourth Avenue West
- No parking after 5 p.m. on Superior Street from 10th Avenue East to Fifth Avenue West
DTA buses will use Second Street for eastbound routes. DTA buses will use First Street from Fifth Avenue West to Third Avenue East and Third Street between 12th Avenue East and Third Avenue East for westbound routes.
Jefferson Line Buses will have access to the Duluth Transportation Center on Michigan Street to load and unload passengers.
Eastbound Superior Street traffic will be detoured at Sixth Avenue West to eastbound Second Street. Westbound Superior Street traffic will be detoured from London Road at 14th Avenue East and from Superior Street at 12th Avenue East to westbound Third Street. Tenth Avenue East will close to traffic from First Street to Superior Street.
Lake Avenue will close between First Street and the Interstate-35 ramps on the Lake Avenue viaduct at 5:45 p.m. All Interstate-35 ramps at Lake Avenue will remain open during the parade, but will only be accessible from the Canal Park side.
Access to Canal Park, Park Point and the DECC, will be via southbound Fifth Avenue West to Railroad Street. All Interstate-35 ramps at Fifth Avenue West will remain open.
For the convenience of the thousands of people who converge on Downtown Duluth for this annual event, the following parking ramps will offer free parking after 5 p.m. Friday:
- Fourth Avenue Auto Park — 402 W. Michigan St.
- Duluth Transportation Center — 228 W. Michigan St.
- Civic Center Ramp — 410 W. First St.
- Tech Village Ramp — 10 E. First St.
- HART Ramp — 122 E. First St.
- Medical District Ramp — 302 E. First St.
- Fitger’s – 600 E. Superior St.
- Phoenix Parking Lot – 98 N. Fourth Ave. W.
- St. Luke’s Hospital Ramp — 1010 E. First St.
- St. Luke’s Employee Parking Lot — 119 N. 12th Ave. E.
- Entrance to the Michigan Street ramps will be limited after 6:15 p.m., but vehicles will be able to exit them throughout the parade.
Downtown parking meters will be free after 5:30 p.m., but there is no parking along the parade route on Superior Street.
Drivers should remain alert to pedestrian and parade traffic, be aware of no parking signs, and use caution when driving in the area of this event.
For questions or more information about traffic contact Duluth Police Investigator Tom Maida at 218-730-5502.
For more information about the parade call Greater Downtown Council President Kristi Stokes at 218-727-8549.