Bill and Fran found this beautiful but emaciated mature eagle in the bushes. It had blood in its mouth. The eagle was brought to the Wildwoods rehab location for help with what appears to be lead poisoning.
Eagles scavenge, so get lead from dead fish on the beach, that have swallowed the lure or have tackle attached. Also, gut piles from the fall deer hunt are scavenge-able for months and months if they’ve lain frozen under the snow. Though lead poisoning in eagles peaks during and just after hunting season, we see it during the rest of the year, too.
Wildwoods Rehabilitation staff looked into the eagle kennel with their hearts in their mouths this morning, prepared for what seemed inevitable. But–he’s alive!!! Break out the chicken breast (what we feed to severely emaciated raptors) and give that boy a meal! He will be en route to the Raptor Center in St. Paul at the U of MN for further treatment by professionals skilled in the care of raptors.
For more info, visit Wildwoods Rehab on Facebook.