It may not be the solution to the education budget … but it’ll keep your kids busy for at least ten minutes during Winter Break.
Art Jam is a youth art contest for kids ages 7 through 12 in the Twin Ports. Have you seen the commercial yet? If not, it’s probably because you don’t watch enough cartoons.
Summer is approaching, slow though it may seem, and concert junkies need to begin filling in their 2011 summer itineraries. Our good friends in Wisconsin are helping get a jump on this planning as Lake Superior Big Top Chautauqua has announced its initial summer performers.
See the full list here. Highlights include Greg Brown, Arlo Guthrie, Dar Williams, Nanci Griffith, and many more. The clincher for me is a two-night stand from folk legend John Prine on Aug. 20-21. A trip to Wisconsin may be in order.
I first took notice of this graffiti in the late 1980s. It’s on the side of the old West Duluth Hotel building, which for many years now has been home to the Italian Village, along with various other businesses.
A new registration session begins March 14th (just a couple of weeks away)! This includes over 20 weekly (open and registration) classes ranging from beginning to advanced.
Thursday, Feb. 24, at 7pm Bill Staines will be playing his annual Amazing Grace show.
“Any new song that can live comfortably beside the well-worn songs of folk tradition has a good chance of surviving the test of time. Such, we believe are the songs of Bill Staines.” –Charles “Sandy” Paton, Folk Legacy Records.
Ethan Perry, DNR Plant Ecologist and a former member of the Duluth Tree Commission, will talk about trees, how to identify them in the winter and the important functions they provide in urban landscapes. Following Ethan’s presentation Wild Ones members will be available with all their favorite books about native trees and shrubs to help those looking for more info to select trees and shrubs to plant at home.
When: Wednesday, Feb. 23. Socializing begins at 6:45 PM, program at 7 PM. We’ll get to the “free tree help” by 8 PM.
Where: Hartley Nature Center in Duluth, MN. see hartleynature.org or call 218-724-6735 for more info/directions.
A crew from The Daily Show with Jon Stewart was at the Capital in Madison on Monday to shoot some sort of a bit that involved a camel. As handlers started to walk the camel around a barricade, well, things got ugly. Jack Craver of the weekly Isthmus newspaper caught it on video.
The camel was not injured. Firefighters on the scene helped untangle things.
Wednesday, June 15 to Friday, June 17.
10am – 3pm daily.
A great event to stock up on some good summer reads!
Saturday Feb 26, 2011 7:30 PM
Sacred Heart Music Center
201 W 4th St
Tickets $5 in advance/$7 at the door
Sonja Bjordal, Sarah Krueger, Charity Huot and Hattie Peterson
Despite the current weather outside, spring is in fact on the way, and the United Way and Continental Ski & Bike are gearing up for the 5th annual Bike Swap, April 16 and 17 at Continental, 1305 E 1st St. Now is the time to check your garage to see if you’ve got a old bike you’d like to sell or donate… or to start dreaming about what kind of new-to-you bike you’d like to buy. If your bike sells, you get 75% of the selling price and the remaining 25% goes to the United Way. We’ve set up a Facebook page to watch for updates. Thanks!
I’m new to the area, so I was really excited to see the waves and film some this morning. To all locals: what’s the biggest waves you’ve seen?
Kids and parents come and join United Way Success By 6 at the Duluth Public Library for our final Cozy Pajama Story Time!
The last three weeks have been a huge success and we want to make sure more people can enjoy our final story time on Thursday, Feb. 24, at 6:30pm in the Green Room at the library.
Three teen readers from the Boys and Girls Club of Duluth will be reading as a part of a service project. The stories are expected to go from 6:30-6:50 with a craft activity planned for 6:50-7:15.
It will be another great night of fun during that restless time between dinner and bedtime for your little ones.