Friday night! Music starts at 10:30 p.m.
Dance party in between and after sets
w/ DJ Path Annu and DJ Nola
Come shop from over 30 local and area artists who make things out of natural materials or recycled/upcycled items. The fair will be held from 10 -3 p.m. on Saturday, March 26 at the Unitarian Church, 835 W. College St. Food will be available to purchase.
The fair is organized by WendyUpNorth.com. For other local art fairs go to the website to see the calendar. There are a few more openings in the July 23, Woman-Made fair.
How many out-of-town guests have you brought up the North Shore to Gooseberry Falls? It’s the nearest of the North Shore’s “greatest hits.”
Now you can wow your out-of-town friends before they even get here. Take a waterfall photography class at Gooseberry, from Paul Sundberg. Paul is the former manager of Gooseberry Falls State Park and father of Duluth’s own biking chiropractor, Adam Sundberg. It’s March 26. Preregistration is required.
Come see The Acceleratii at R.T. Quinlin’s for St. Pat’s! They will be joined by Big Wave Dave and the Ripples. Show starts at 10:00 and the cost is a meager $5.
The United Way Bike Swap team has recently secured extra storage space for donated bikes before the sale. If you have bicycles in reasonable condition that you would like to donate to the United Way, you can bring them to Continental Ski & Bike (1305 E. First St. in Duluth) any weekday between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. or weekends until 5 p.m. 100% of the profits from the sale of donated bikes goes to United Way of Greater Duluth, and when you donate you will get a form for tax purposes, a coupon from Continental, a warm thank you from United Way, and the satisfaction from having done a good deed.
(If you want to sell a bike, check-in is at Continental on Friday, April 15, from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m and Saturday April 16 from 8 to 9:45 a.m. If your bike sells you get 75% of the selling price and the remaining 25% goes to United Way.)
Join the Bike Swap Facebook page if you want more news and updates. Thanks!
Did you know that Lake Superior was considered for a nuclear power plant site, near Knife River, in the 1960s? It’s scary to think what might have been … but it happened. Check out Jim Heffernan’s blog to learn more.
Rubber Chicken Theater takes on Tinseltown in this seriously silly show at The Shack. (Try saying that fast five times.) 186 classic movies, crammed into one show. Plus, yummy food and YOU could help recreate a zombie scene, live onstage!
Call (715) 392-DINE to reserve your spot.
Found – 1 year (?) mixed-breed dog, brindle coat, fixed male on Grand Ave & 80th Ave. W. Please call 218-349-5808 if this guy is yours.
Pesticide corporations are destroying bee colonies. A pollination-free world is a place you don’t want to go. Sign the petition and tell the EPA you disapprove of living without fruits and vegetables, and support banning pesticides which kill bees. Start your apiary this summer!
St. Patrick’s Day Irish Ceili Dance and Dinner
Thursday, March 17
Dinner begins at 6 p.m. and dancing starts at 7 p.m.
St. Paul’s Church
1710 E. Superior Street — use the back entrance
The Minnesota State Arts Board is conducting a census to find out just how many Minnesotans are “engaged in creative expression.”
Starting last week, the state agency has been encouraging people to fill out an online survey indicating whether they are an artist, work in the arts, or help facilitate or promote creative expression. The state legislature directed the State Arts Board and the state’s eleven regional arts councils to conduct the census to help measure the influence of arts in the state.
Brian Strub, communications & government relations director with the MN State Arts Board, explains the parameters this way:
We are asking participation from anyone state wide who, professionally or personally, sings, acts, dances, writes, draws, paints, sculpts, illustrates, photographs, films, knits, weaves, directs, plays an instrument, composes, shares stories, designs, or any other form of creative expression; and any agency, business, facility, or organization that produces, presents, or promotes creative expression. I’ve been telling people, “If you’re creative, be proud. Be counted.”
Strub says the MN Arts Count will continue through the end of April. You can participate in the survey here.
Saturday, March 19
Saturday, March 19 · 5:30pm – 8:30pm
Peace United Church of Christ
1111 N 11th Ave. E., Duluth
Hello all! I am pleased to invite you to a wonderful, spectacular art opening on Friday, March 25. The exhibit will be open from 7-10 pm at the Old European Bakery on West First street. This event is free and open to the public!
I am planning to order a solar heater system from Lakota Solar Enterprises. The total with installation is $2,000; system without installation is $1,400. There is a discount for multiple orders. Anyone interested?