Goodbye Big Chester

The city of Duluth has determined that the ski jumps at Chester Bowl will be coming down due to safety concerns. A public meeting will be held July 31.

erik

about 2 months ago

That would be the ultimate mountain bike gravity trail. The Bowl could rock it old school, no need for high speed quad, just get a rope and pulley to haul your bike to the top.

janamidwife

about 2 months ago

Ski Jump Art: I wish they would leave them be, and shift their place in the city files from "ski jumps" to "sculpture." They are artwork, giant installations, as iconic on the skyline as the bridge is on the harbor. If not sculpture, I hope the boards can be auctioned off or gifted to someone who would use them to build something public and very cool.

llinmpls

about 2 months ago

I sure hope there are plans to turn it into a dog park.

BadCat!

about 2 months ago

Sorry I rolled a bowling ball down you in 1995.

Tony D.

about 2 months ago

For those of you unfamiliar with the jumps, here is a history of ski jumping in the Zenith City: Duluth’s long, rich history of jumping in the “Norseman’s Shoes”

The Big E

about 2 months ago

I really dislike this idea. True, I don't have any great enthusiasm for our kids getting into ski jumping, but I love seeing the jumps on the skyline. I think the best memorial of Duluth's great ski jumping history is leaving them there.

Aldin

about 2 months ago

llinmpls, I really hope they don't turn it into a dog park. There are already too many dogs roaming around Chester Creak.

Andy Tveter

about 2 months ago

I am looking for some aged lumber for a wall panel project. Would anyone have an idea who the right person to contact would be to purchase a few of these boards?

about 2 months ago

Update: Next week's Chester Creek Concert Series performance will be preceded by a special tribute to the Chester Park Ski Jump Program with a brief presentation by former Olympic ski jumper Adrian Watt.

Nobody

about 1 month ago

A crew is up at Big Chester right now working to pull it down in one shot. There a few people watching the jump wiggle as they work on it...