Postcards from Duluth’s Lester Park

As usual, click on any thumbnail to see the full image, and use your arrow keys from there to click through and view as a slideshow.

about 5 months ago

Message to Miss Mabel Birch of Faribault, Minn., postmarked Aug. 11, 1910:

Dear Mabel, I did not know whether you were home or not but that I would write to let you know I was still in Duluth. How did you enjoy California? I had thought of coming down to Faribault this summer, but brother Ed and his wife were here last week, so I decided to stay in Duluth. Write to me soon. Sincerely your friend, Carolyn Detert

bluenewt

about 5 months ago

I'll bet it's "thot I would write." My grandpa used to spell thought that way sometimes, I guess to save space. Looks like an o to me.

about 5 months ago

Yes, indeed that seems to be the case.

about 5 months ago

Message to Mrs. Stilman B. Tiley of Essex, Conn., postmarked Aug. 28, 1908:

Hello Effie, How you all be? I’m fine and dandy. Lovingly Lils

about 5 months ago

Message to Mr. & Mrs. A. H. Burrows of Marquette, Mich., postmarked Feb. 6, 1953:

Hi. We arrived at 5 p.m. Had good roads from Ironwood on. Seeing everybody here and plan to leave Thursday morning for Iowa. Thank you so much for putting up with us and we were so happy to see you all. Only sorry we didn’t have more of a visit, but will hope to entice you to Houston ere long. You have more snow in Marquette than they have here! Pauley is a good traveler. No more trouble with the car. Love to all, Jean.

hbh1

about 5 months ago

I think your two unreadable words there are 1. Ia. (as in Iowa) and 2. "ere"

about 5 months ago

Yes, yes. Both appear to be the case. Good eye and thanks!

about 5 months ago

Perhaps I can get another assist on deciphering some penmanship. This message is from ... I don't know ... it looks like "Lellie." She writes to Miss Marnie Gately of Shirley Mass., postmarked July 3, 1912.

Well Marnie, this is some country. Am spending the day here, the weather is so cold I have been mist firye len’re I landed. Lellie
Obviously "mist firye len’re" is just me doing my best to translate.

hbh1

about 5 months ago

I think it is "Lellie." That last bit is "I have been most froze since I landed."

hbh1

about 5 months ago

I blame either frostbite or whiskey for her terrible penmanship.

about 4 months ago

Message from Greta to Mr. Adolf Apel of Chicago, Ill., postmarked July 27, 1911:

Slim chances to get anything to eat tonight is what I just heard. Guess we’ll have get on earth once more. Nothing doing on board. — Greta

about 4 months ago

Message to Mrs. A. P. Kluding of Norwalk, Ohio., dated Sept. 8 and postmarked Sept. 9, 1912:

Well ma, I am here. I might to have more eyes so that I could see more. Enjoying it pretty well. --JK

about 4 months ago

My dear friend Bertha, I will surprise you with a long letter some of those fine days. Love to all of you from M. L.

markryan

about 4 months ago

This is from former mayor Sam Snively's personal scrapbook regarding the building of Snively Road (later Seven Bridges Road) and the bridges built along it c. 1912. This is the only example of this card I've ever come across. It's the bridge located just south of the hockey rinks. It's unused and contains no scribblings.