Fish fry Fridays???

I see Tycoons has a new Friday Fish Fry. What are the other Fish Fry Fridays in the Duluth / Superior / South Shore / North Shore area? I’m willing to drive a while if the fish is good … any suggestions?

Devdoggy

about 9 months ago

I don't know, but Tycoons calling it "Duluth's premier" seems a bit presumptuous for something that's just starting.

about 9 months ago

Shouldn't be premier until well after the premiere, ay? Asking about the local fish fry scene is almost an annual tradition on PDD, so here's the links to previous discussions on the topic: 2013, 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007 Among the places mentioned in those posts: Wabegon Supper Club Lemon Wolf Cafe Clearwater Grille Choo-Choo Bar in Superior Bridgeman's Tappa Keg Inn Amnicon Bar outside Superior Norwood Acres Golf Course Fall Inn Bar & Grill Streetcar Kitchen and Pub Rapids Riverside in South Range Eddie's Ribs Foster’s Bar and Grill Porky’s Restaurant and Lounge by Island Lake Captain Barkers Restaurant Dixie Bar and Grill Round Up North The Breeze Inn Gordy's Hi-Hat (summer only)

Herzog

about 9 months ago

What's worthy to point out here, besides the stultifying amount of times this subject has been beaten to death -- the answers never change as the years flip by -- is that while there are plenty of deep-fried fish doughnut choices on the list, not one of them serves the non-fried shitless variety. Tycoons hailing their Formula One Cod Poppers as 'premier' is like Raymond claiming he always shtoinked out of respect. This next storm is called Thunderbeast.

Lawrence Lee

about 9 months ago

Thanks, Paul, for listing all of the iterations of this post. That usually falls to me or Barrett. I'm amazed how often this question comes up. It's good to know some things don't change.

jxndyk

about 9 months ago

The Canal Park Brewery does a good fish fry... Im digesting it as we speak. Have a Hank and Dab too. Mmmmm

DECk37

about 9 months ago

I haven't been there in a couple of years, so I can't vouch for it these days, but Blue Max up on Lavaque road on Fish Lake had a good fish fry friday.

waferdog

about 9 months ago

I may have made this comment in past posts related to this, but I think it is important to differentiate between all-you-can-eat fish fries and those that just give you one plate of fish on a Friday night. I believe them to be two very different things. FYI - Dixie is all you can eat.

about 9 months ago

To each his own, but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want more than one serving of fried fish.

waferdog

about 9 months ago

Because I like how it tastes?

about 9 months ago

I think what Barrett means is that most of us probably like the taste of fried fish, just like most of us like the taste of ice cream. But there is something about fried fish that makes a person not want to eat massive amounts of it, yet without willpower there would be no reason to ever stop eating ice cream until it is either all gone or you feel sick.

about 9 months ago

I guess that's it. It's just strange that we've singled out this food as an all-you-can-eat food. You never hear about all-you-can-eat burgers, or potato salad, or carrot soup. Why fish?

ms dean

about 9 months ago

All-you-can-eat deals are usually wasted on me since I'm a smallish woman and can't eat that much in one sitting. That's why I was impressed when I ordered the fish fry at the Tappa Keg and the bartender, seeing I'd only eaten a couple of pieces of fish, sent me home with extras (which I used to make fish tacos). I haven't had the fish fry at the Round Up North in Brule, but I want to after reading this on their Facebook page:

We've added another side to choose from with your fish for these "winter months." I've used my mom's recipe for homemade potato pancakes to go along with the fish. They are the kind us Scandinavians would serve with a little side of applesauce.
Yes, please! I ate there for the first time this weekend and had some delicious homemade crab cakes and dinner rolls, so I have high hopes for the potato pancakes.

emmadogs

about 9 months ago

There is something about fried fish that makes a person not want to eat massive amounts of it.
You have clearly, clearly never been to an American Legion Hall for all-you-can-eat fish fests. I waitressed at my dad's Am Legion hall when he was president back in the early 1980s, and, boy, you should have seen those Legionnaires put the fish away. Holy cow. p.s. Also you have clearly not been to my house when Mr. Emmadogs brings home potato salad. All you can eat, indeed. He's lucky to get any. Potato salad = heaven.

TimK

about 9 months ago

There is a difference between all you can eat and all you care to eat.