Perfect Duluth Day | Duluth News Events Music and More

“Worse than 1971″ Duluth Hillside, Cascade Park Flooding 2012

My elder neighbor Shirley says that this is “Worse than 1971.”

*Update: Actually that flood was in 1972 Lake Voice News has this story and pics from 1972 hillside floods.

Lake Ave and 5th on Wednesday Morning. Stay home, all but impassable.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEtS4tey9PY

1st Ave W between 5th and Cascade St

Cascade Unity Mural (my vid is too big for upload, I guess but here’s a snapshot.)

wildgoose

I could not embed the videos yet, but they are downloadable. Anyone can use them if they link back to Perfect Duluth Day and credit the source. Thanks.

Tom

I don't think anyone's arguing that it's worse than 1971. Some people may argue that it's not as bad as 1972 though. But Duluth has shattered numerous records, including total rainfall in a 24-hour period. 1972 had an entire street crumble though. I guess we can only wait it out and argue about which was worse later on. (Also, here's a LakeVoice story about the 1972 flood with some photos of 6th Avenue East for anyone who's curious about it.)

Lithis

First Avenue West and the alley above Fourth Street: [img]http://www.perfectduluthday.com/wp-content/uploads/comments/CascadeStreetDownhillsmall.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.perfectduluthday.com/wp-content/uploads/comments/CascadeStreetUphillsmall.jpg[/img] Cascade Park: [img]http://www.perfectduluthday.com/wp-content/uploads/comments/CascadeParksmall.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.perfectduluthday.com/wp-content/uploads/comments/CascadeParkGeysersmall.jpg[/img] Caulk the wagon!

wildgoose

Thanks Tom. To clarify I wasn't arguing anything necessarily. I just asked my neighbor if she was here for 1971 (which I thought was the same as '72) and she said it was worse. I'd love to hear more history. I remember that story from Lake Voice, thanks for providing the link.

Lithis

Second Avenue West is also wounded, but I don’t have any pictures of it. Clouds of steam and jets of water were spurting right through the bricks and pavement in the street.

wildgoose

Here are a few pictures from the facebook album of my neighbor, Gene McKeever, too. Although Lithis' pics are great. I'm more of a snapshotist than a photog. Genie's FB album: http://on.fb.me/MhwzDN

Lithis

Shana took those pictures, not me. The zoo has been hit quite hard. The News Tribune has an article that mentions it.

There's currently an actual traffic jam on Grand Avenue due to the closure of I-35. Apparently no one is heeding the authorities' advice to stay off the roads.

Tom

Sorry, didn't mean to turn it into an argument or competition. Just trying to point out that there seems to be a lot of similarity between the two. I wasn't around in '72 though, so I don't have the perspective that your elderly neighbor Shirley has.

Tony D.

Worse than '72? Could well be. But worse than 1912? 1909? 1897? 1872? perhaps. Read about them all on Zenith City Online (www.zenithcity.com)

TimK

I remember a kid went through several blocks of culvert on 6th Ave. E. back in '72- very similar to the kid in Proctor on Tuesday. He also survived with just scrapes and bruises.

wildgoose

Tom: We're cool, I put the Lake Voice link in the body of the post. Thanks for your note, too Tony D. I tried searching ZenithCity.com for the '72 flood yesterday when I made the Lake Voice edit but I couldn't find anything in a cursory search. Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you. I love your site.

Tony D.

Wildgoose: Thanks for the kind words! I couldn't get to the library the last couple days, hence no research on the '72 flood. Luckily I had info on these others. I'm hoping Andrew Krueger posts something on the News Tribune Attic, as he will have access to photos that I won't.

Tom

I recall Andrew saying on the live blog the other night that he had been planning to do a '72 flood story, but we were re-experiencing it instead. It would be interesting to see some more photos from that, but people might, understandably, be getting a little tired of flood stuff. Too bad they didn't have the technology we have today back in 1972, or in 1912 or 1909 or 1897 or 1872. There are so few photos from those (or none for the older ones), while there are probably hundreds of thousands of photos from today's flood.

Tom

Interestingly, there was a post on PDD featuring some 1909 flood photos a few years back. Street scene, 1909

Tony D.

Yesterday a friend showed me a weekly calendar for 1973 printed by Stewart-Taylor with 52 photos from the flood. Tim K., your memory is working--one of the photos showed the culvert that a boy was pulled through just like the other day.

Herzog

I'm finding the closed roads have pros and cons. Makes people more alert, increases their capacity for to handle change, and I'm able to exercise/bike unmolested by traffic in so many places I wasn't before, so that's kind of nice. Why just the other day, I had a beautiful mother doe/fawn moment that lingered for five minutes, would've been ran over by cars just days before. Plus, the way some roads were carved away really prepares you for the big picture. Mother Nature keeps it real.