What makes Duluth unique? What makes it special? We tried to answer this question through our stories. LakeVoice’s publication this week is about everything local. Here’s what we’ve been working on this week:
- Celiac is an autoimmune disorder believed to affect up to 1% of the US population. Sadly, there is no cure. The only known effective treatment is a gluten-free diet. Alicia Lebens put together a collection of gluten-free options for Duluthians on Pinterest.
- 2104 E. Superior St. has become the coolest house to see local musicians and artists. Recently, they’ve hosted journalist Adam Carr (creator of January in Duluth), music acts Dirty Horse and Big Wave Dave, and photographer Kip Praslowicz. Rebecca Mortensen interviewed the owners for this week’s LakeCast.
- The city of Duluth has 29 different, distinct neighborhoods. While we are all united as Duluthians, the people of each neighborhood have their own quirks. Lauren Renneke tells the story of a resident living in 7 of the neighborhoods through an interactive map.
- For most of us social media is second nature. We tend to forget that there was life before Twitter and Facebook. Members of the sans-Facebook generation are struggling to keep up with the rapid advancement of new technologies. To try to keep up local business leaders have been meeting to discuss social media strategies. Luke Wieneke writes about the Social Media Breakfast.
- Duluth is full of natural wonders, and it’s citizen’s work hard to protect the city’s beauty – and they start at an early age. 6th grade science students at Marshall School have taken up the duty of monitoring Brewery Creek. Nathan Levendoski has the details on the young environmentalists.
- Animal Allies is the leading resource for adopting and sheltering animals in Duluth. Reegan Lloyd created a slideshow about the animal shelter and how you can help. Warning: the slideshow contains cute puppies and kitties.
- Come check out a unique perspective of Duluth: Laura Prosser gives you a tour of three local hotspots on a nice spring day.
Leave a Comment
Only registered members can post a comment , Login / Register Here