What’s the deal with those horns?

If you scroll through this slide show displaying statues of Leif Erickson (or Ericsson, there seem to be many spellings of this name), you notice that Duluth’s statue has something most of the other statues don’t have. Go ahead, I’ll wait…

…so, did you notice? If you read the headline you already know what it is: horns. What’s more, if you read this article on LakeVoice written by UMD journalist Madiha Mirza, you will learn that Duluthian Stefan Guttormsson, president-elect of the Icelandic American Association of Minnesota, believes that our statue should not have horns.

Of course, if that’s true, does it also mean the Minnesota Vikings’ logo is, um, wrong?

edgeways

I am sure the football team has it wrong, but in that case it is just aesthetics. Really, horns on a helmet you wear into battle just seems wrong on so many levels. Too easy to catch on stuff, too easy for someone to grab and twist your head, or hold steady while they do other nasty stuff to you. The helmets would be hard to store during travel and generally would be a right PITA just to have something that looked cool. I kind of suspect the vikings where more practical than preening.

Dorkus

And we all know that the Icelanders are experts on Norwegian history. Leif is more often depicted wearing wings than Horns on his helmet, and it is fairly obvious that it was a ceremonial or decorative headdress to indicate his power or rank, rather than a helmet worn to battle.

I was just going to say that the helmet he's wearing in Duluth's statue has wings, not horns. It's a 19th century Romantic throwback to Greek and Roman depictions of gods and heroes, and isn't meant to be an actual representation of history.

wildgoose

Mrs. Goose and I were looking for a fun family activity and discovered this website ranks the Leif Ericson Viking ship as Duluth's #2 Family Fun destination. Because nothing says "family" like a shrink-wrapped boat surrounded by rocks in a gully. I love the Viking horns, a nod to my wild Scandinavian heritage. We Swedes got all the wild out of our system a thousand years ago.

Shane

Does it really matter? The horns look cool. Besides, Iceland is not Norway.

kerc

Clearly you aren't from here. the sacrilege to suggest that the Minnesota Vikings got it wrong. (Neither am I and on some level I find it amazing how crazy MN and WI folks are about football and then I remember being in college and meeting Browns/Steelers fans for the first time. (Going to college an hour from Cleveland and 2 hrs from Pittsburg will do that for you). ) But I also can't believe that claim that people visit the Viking ship like crazy. Are you kidding me? You can see about as much as you can in your average sailing club shipyard in December.

huitz

I don't remember where I read it (I think the Duluth Public Library), that the precursors to the vikings actually wore helmets with horns and/or wings not just for ceremony, but also into battle as an intimidation tactic.

jhatcher

Shane wrote, "Does it really matter? The horns look cool. Besides, Iceland is not Norway." In fact, Madiha is working on a followup story for LakeVoice discussing the fact that Ericsson is not Norwegian. He's believe to be from Iceland (the BBC can't be wrong, right? It's kind of like asking where Bob Dylan is "from" I suppose.

Nettles

Eric the Red was born in Norway moved to Iceland and then founded a settlement in Greenland. Leif was born on Iceland probably. There weren't really countries back then so it's fine to think of him or others on Iceland as either Icelandic or Norwegian based on culture.

about 3 weeks ago

Hornish Wings photo by John Hatcher Nearly three years later, the horns/wings issue is revisited. LakeVoice: Those aren’t horns, they are wings; addressing a story that wasn’t