Perfect Duluth Day | Duluth News Events Music and More

Major Concerts at the DECC: 1966 to 2010

This is an ongoing attempt to list all of the major concerts at the DECC Arena and Symphony Hall from 1966 to 2010, which of course includes the era when they were known as the Duluth Arena and Duluth Auditorium.

Recommend additions in the comments, or point out if you have missing dates or opening acts.

The Beach Boys — August 13, 1966
The Supremes — 1967
Paul Revere and the Raiders — 1967
Three Dog Night
Linda Ronstadt
Grand Funk Railroad
Rare Earth
Chicago
Lawrence Welk
Shawn Phillips
Blue Oyster Cult, Foghat and Black Oak Arkansas
Blue Oyster Cult, Rush and Ozone Grater & the Moon Rock Band — May 23, 1966

Buck Owens, Don Rich and the Buckaroos, etc. — June 19, 1971
Creedence Clearwater Revival — May 7, 1972
Johnny Cash with the Carter Family, Tennessee Three and Carl Perkins — May 21, 1972
Deep Purple with Fleetwood Mac and Rory Gallagher — May 8, 1973

Montrose, Journey and Van Halen — March 29, 1978

REO Speedwagon and the Babys — April 30, 1978
Kiss and Judas Priest — Oct. 6, 1978
Harry Chapin — May 11, 1979
Edgar Winter Group and Montrose
Cheap Trick and the Romantics — July 19, 1979
The Platters, the Shirelles, Freddie Cannon and Danny & the Juniors — Sept. 22, 1979

Van Halen with Screams — Sept. 25, 1979

Shawn Colvin — May 4, 2007
“Weird Al” Yankovic — June 24, 2007
Davy Jones — Feb. 7, 2009
Wilco — Feb. 19, 2010
Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper — May 12, 2010

Slim Jimmy M

Here is Barbara Reyelts interviewing the Moody Blues when they played with the Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra on March 9, 1994. Starship with The Outfield played the Arena in 1996, and Krokus with Dokken in 1985

jayinduluth

Willie Nelson played in the auditorium a couple years ago.

ms dean

There was a Richard Marx show in the '90s (or late '80s?). Also, I think it's worth noting that They Might be Giants was the opening act for Hootie.

waferdog

Michael Damien performed in the Auditorium with "special guest" Johnny Depp sometime in the fall of 1989 I believe. I do not remember who opened. I also seem to recall that Tesla played the Arena with Warrant and Firehouse sometime in '89 or '90. Rob Zombie also played Pioneer Hall a few years before the 2010 show. Finally, Gordon Lightfoot has played the Auditorium twice more since 2002.

llinmpls

Deep Purple and Nazareth played the Arena in the 1970s.

Rij

Dug out my vast collection of ticket stubs and found these, which don't appear to have been mentioned yet. Starship Aug. 12, 1986. The Monkees Nov. 8, 1986. Warrant,Trixter and Firehouse Jun. 2, 1991. Skid Row with Love/Hate May 24, 1992. Kid Rock Aug 19, 2004. Cher Nov.17, 2004. Nickelback Jan. 30, 2006. Goo Goo Dolls Feb 25, 2007. Cheryl Crow May 9, 2011.

Rij

Forgot to mention that after the arena show, the guys from Warrant, Trixter and Firehouse showed up at the Pacific Club in Superior and and TOTALLY ROCKED!!

Drab T-Shirt

Waylon Jennings Arena 6/8/80 Molly Hatchett/Michael Schenker Group Arena Dec 1980 Reel Big Fish Tap Room 4/5/02 Urge Overkill Norshor 11/26/04 Robert Palmer/Bourgeois Tagg 5/86 Auditorium Zen Identity opened for Thorogood in 89 The Romantics opened for Cheap Trick in 79 and the Tubes in 83 Steel pulse opened for INXS in 88 King Kobra opened for Kiss in 86 Honeydogs opened for Soul Asylum in 96

Herzog

Hole opened for Nine Inch Nail at one point, I don't know if they made it to Duluth, in fact, I don't see any Grunge era acts on the bill? Soundgarden should've played the Norshore. But OMF, what a major cock block of hair metal acts though! I don't know how I got through the 80's. Guess I should be thankful I did. CCR played somewhere around the DECC in summer of '69. I shit you not. I'll get the exact date from my neighbor as soon as I am able. I think the Doors played as well, Alice Cooper probably, a whole slew of bands that predated '76. And by that, I don't mean in a sexual predator way, but then again...

jj

Collective Soul came twice to the Auditorium around '96 and '99

Swan

I saw ted Nugent at least three times at the DECC in the 1970's. I'll dig for ticket stubs for other missing show. My first show was Black Oak Arkansas and Ted Nugent circa 1976 (pretty cool to a 5th grader back then).

ms dean

Now that I'm home with my ticket stubs... According to my ticket, the 1998 Aerosmith show happened on May 3. The Tori Amos show was on March 30, not the 31st. The Hootie show was on Nov. 3 Lyle Lovett, March 16, 1999 Collective Soul, July 16, 1997 Big Head Todd and the Monsters, March 10, 1997 Indigo Girls, May 12, 1995 And apparently I was at that ZZ Top show in '91, though I have no memory of it.

woody

My first concert ever was the Kiss Dynasty Tour at the DECC, October 1978. John Cougar opened up for them. I remember him getting booed off the stage. Pretty cool for a sixth grader...

Duluthanasia

If anyone has any, I'd be interested in purchasing old hard rock/metal posters from any of these shows.

ms dean

Bonnie Raitt and Lyle Lovett was Aug. 26, 2002

Slim Jimmy M

Harry Chapin played the Auditorium twice; Oct 1, 1977 and May 11, 1979 Also, that Hall And Oates show at the Arena was April 19, 1983.

Aerosmith was originally scheduled to play on May 3, 1998, but Steven Tyler was injured during a show a few days earlier and needed surgery, so the Duluth show was postponed until Nov. 13 -- Friday the 13th, as a matter of fact.

markjoberg

MC Hammer played at the DECC in the summer of 1992. I'm sure of that, because the Skid Row concert in May was my first and MC Hammer went down a couple of months later (August maybe? I know it was before school started...).

Andrew Olson

August 1, 2007 - Queens of the Stone Age They actually named their tour the "Duluth Tour" that year and were focusing on cities similar to this one in size. I interviewed Dean Fertita, who was in QOTSA, Raconteurs, and The Dead Weather about the tour and he said it was his favorite tour. The show poster that was created was sent to Duluth, GA and never arrived in time for the concert. I found one on Ebay a few years ago for $25 from the artist who saved a few. [img]http://www.perfectduluthday.com/wp-content/uploads/comments/ISCAHLLN3J.jpg[/img] Here is a link to a clearer picture of the poster.

Andrew Olson

Here is the show poster from the Wilco show. It is really amazing to see up close. [img]http://www.perfectduluthday.com/wp-content/uploads/comments/Wilco-Duluth-Poster.jpg[/img] This is a link to a site where you can still purchase it for $25 if any of you are interested.

Touchdown

One of the, if not the last official Giljunko show, was opening for Mike Watt and the Secondmen at the NorShor sometime in 2003. A year or two later when I was playing with The Black Labels, we opened for the Skatalites in the main room of the NorShor. Good times. They're no Skid Row, but it was pretty damn cool. I couldn't find posters for either show, so if anybody has any I would love to seem them. Also, please confirm dates for either show. The only record I have of the Mike Watt show is a picture of me and Mike on the couch at the Shaky Ray.

jj

Doobie Brothers pre 1980 Rick Springfield with Till Tuesday but Till Tuesday cancelled Bryan Adams Scorpions

Touchdown

Oh, and sorry. I meant to post that Mike Watt/Skatalites info in the Rock Facts thread...this is about DECC shows.

markryan

I can't give exact dates but here's what I remember: 1967 The Supremes (I worked at the Arena and Diana Ross asked me where the ladies' room was - called me sweetie). Paul Revere and the Raiders. 1971-74 Creedence Clearwater Revival (I think Tony Joe White opened) Three Dog Night, two or three times Johnny Cash Linda Ronstadt Grand Funk Railroad Rare Earth Chicago Lawrence Welk (I was shooting for WDIO) Shawn Phillips

GuyStunning

Not sure if this qualifies as "major" or not, but White Lion opened for Stryper at the DECC sometime in 1989. Not so sure it shouldn't have been the other way around...

mnbeerdrinker

Eric Clapton was supposed to play here in 1982, but cancelled due to a medical emergency. Also, not music, but I do remember going to see Bob Hope with my parents.

Tom

The Beach Boys played the first major concert at the DECC on August 13, 1966. They also came back there in July 1980.

Davy Jones died this morning. He performed at the DECC on Feb. 7, 2009.

DaVe

Argent -'70s Redbone- opening for ? -'70s Climax Blues Band -'70s Maybe Savoy Brown. So long ago.The false memories may be creeping in.

Rita

Randy Travis performed in the Arena, Fall of 1990 I think. Don't recall who opened.

TimK

'75 or '76 was a bill with Foghat, Black Oak Arkansas and the headliner was Blue Oyster Cult. I remember because of an awesome section in Don't Fear the Reaper where everybody in BOC grabbed a guitar to play the same part in unison. My 16-year-old brain was blown!

Rij

A friend of mine told me he saw that Beach Boys show in 1966 and that The Who was the opening act. Don't know if I believe him. Can anyone confirm?

jj

Confirmed on the Beach Boys with cover band being The Who. I was there! Also in 1966 or 1967, Peter and Gordon were there and Herman's Hermits. I also saw the Byrds and the Ventures but that was at the Curling Club a year or two before the Arena opened.

todobrillante

TimK- Were there multiple Blue Oyster Cult shows? I have this rock poster that shows a '76 date in Duluth with Rush: http://www.perfectduluthday.com/2010/09/23/old-duluth-rock-showsposters/

TimK

Yes- I believe they played a couple of times. The show I saw must've been '75 (now that I think about it).

ms dean

More ticket stubs... Jonny Lang, Feb. 20, 1999 Collective Soul, April 13, 1999

ms dean

Ani DiFranco came back on September 16, 2009 with opening act Gregory Alan Isakov. They played in the Harbor View Room, I think.

Yep. The DiFranco show was originally supposed to be in the auditorium, but she requested about a week before the show that it be moved to the Harborside Ballroom. Apparently she likes to play smaller rooms and the auditorium wasn't going to sell out.

jj

Crosby, Stills, and Nash don't remember the year though.

JohnMichaels

I have some concert memories from the 1980s and '90s. To Waferdog: The 'Johnny Depp" at the Michael Damian show turned out to be an imposter. We were all fooled at the time, and I've talked to Michael about it since then, and always had a good laugh. Also, I don't remember that the MC Hammer show ever happened. I recall that one was scheduled, tickets went on sale, etc., but then the show was cancelled, ostensibly because his stage was too big to fit the DECC ... but we figured it was because of a lack of ticket sales. My memory about that may be faulty, though. Are we including comedy shows, too? Because I also remember Jay Leno and Gallagher (separately) playing the DECC auditorium.

Herzog

Alice Cooper definitely played around '71 or '72, my neighbor, who just wandered by serendipitously was able to clarify. His brother's friend's dad had access to a hearse, and loaned it out to the band... pictures are in some shoebox in Duluth.

Danny

Gallagher was indeed at the auditorium. I don't remember the year (if I had to guess I would say 1990) but I know for sure that it was on a Halloween, October 31st. Another recent show to add to the list: Korn on May 13, 2009.

Gallagher and George Carlin performed in the auditorium a couple of times. Louie Anderson, Steven Wright, Jay Leno, Jerry Seinfeld ... there have been a bunch of comics at the DECC. It should probably be a separate list.

princelumber

That Queensryche/Suicidal show was 89 or 90...

Here are photos from Ken Kalligher's MySpace page of Van Halen in Duluth, which Kalligher notes are circa 1979 and "taken w/ a Pentax ME 35mm." And there's even a Scorpions shot.

antique