A man/woman/city is known by the company he/she/it keeps.

Finding 101 things to do in Duluth through anonymous means is not hard — of my ninety-nine problems, Google running out of suggestions isn’t one. So, the generous feedback on PDD has been wonderful (thank you so much, by the way), if not a touch overwhelming. Forget January — all these personal recommendations could fuel an entire lifetime in Duluth. For the rest of the month, I’ll continue to chase after as many Duluth experiences as I can, but on PDD I’d like to pivot my questions slightly.

To really wrap my head around Duluth, I’m going to need conversations and people, and I think this is the right place to seek those. Recommendations and maybe some invitations? Here are a few questions to start:

(1) Who is the best storyteller you know in Duluth? And I don’t mean that in a “who is the most polished stage performer” kind of way — I mean, of the people you know, when you’re at the kitchen table after dinner, who tells the stories that make you laugh/think/react the deepest?

(2) What are some sayings/maxims/cliches/proverbs/aphorisms/truisms/localisms/apophthegems about Duluth and the people who live here in particular? I’d love to hear extant wisdom, or if you’re feeling motivated/creative, you can make up your own originals (it might be fun!). If an apple a day wards off doctors, what keeps Duluthians away? If Duluthians were horses, what would beggars do? When in Duluth, do as …

(3) Finally, what is the best single standup arcade game in Duluth? I’d really like to test out some hypotheses.

P.S. I’ve started a Facebook page where I’m going to start asking a steady stream of questions. If you fancy yourself an ace Duluthian and generous sharer, think about giving that page a follow.

DaVe

Duluth saying: "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes." As for storytellers, meet Ed at Carmody Pub. I can't vouch for the veracity of the stories, just saying he likes to tell stories.

This is probably a good time for another refresher course on "The Abandoned Car Test." (Two things have changed since the above linked story was published in 2004: 1) There are only two public high schools in Duluth now. 2) I moved back to West Duluth.)

emeraldcity

Lise Lunge-Larson = best storyteller ever.

Beverly

Saying, "Yeah the weather is nice now, but we'll pay for it later!"

heysme

Contact Ken Buehler at the Depot - great story teller. He is full of local stories on how Duluth benefited from trains and industry (iron ore and timber) among other stuff.

spy1

I arch my brow on the Buehler thing, but ... don't meet him at the Depot -- demand to be his guest at the Kitchi Gammi club basement bar. You can't leave Duluth without seeing this oddity, and I'm sure there will be talkers there.

huitz

@DaVe... Duluth doesn't own that one. That quote has been used almost everywhere I've been, but most commonly on the front range in Colorado. In fact, I'd go so far as to say, that makes no sense whatsoever. Duluth's weather is fairly consistent and at times persistent.

in.dog.neato

D/FW's eminent prognosticator Harold Taft (the bowtie wearing weatherman of my youth) was fond of using an expression similar to that as well ... and this was in the 1970s and '80s.

adam

I'll just leave this here: Visit Duluth Board of Directors, executive committee Tony Bronson, board chair Grandma's Restaurant Company 525 Lake Avenue South Duluth, MN 55802 Phone: (218) 727-2250 Fax: (218) 727-5604 Email: tbronson@grccorp.com www.grandmasrestaurants.com Karen Pionk, vice chair Sheraton Duluth Hotel 301 East Superior Street Duluth, MN 55802 Phone: (218) 336-2709 Fax: (218) 733-5650 Email: kpionk@sheratonduluth.com www.sheraton.com/duluth Kristi Schmidt, immediate past chair vice president, Marketing & Corporate Communications Essentia Health 407 E. Third Street - SSB5 Duluth, MN 55805 Phone: (218) 786-4807 Fax: (218) 786-4273 Email: kschmidt@essentiahealth.org www.EssentiaHealth.org Cindy Hayden, funding/finance chair Lake Superior Magazine 310 East Superior Street, Suite 125 Duluth, MN 55802-3138 Phone: (218) 722-5002 Fax: (218) 722-4096 Email: cmh@lakesuperior.com www.lakesuperior.com Lisa Augustine, at-large Holiday Inn & Suites 200 West First Street Duluth, MN 55802 Phone: (218) 722-1202 Fax: (218) 722-0233 Email: lisa.augustine@hiduluth.com www.hiduluth.com Board Members Ken Aparicio Historic Inns of Duluth 2309 East First Street Duluth, MN 55812 Phone: (218) 724-6405 Fax: (218) 728-0952 Email: cottonmansion@msn.com www.cottonmansion.com Randy Brody Lincoln Park Business Group Aero Design and Mfg. Co., Inc. 8 South 18th Avenue West Duluth, MN 55806-2148 Phone: (218) 625-7410 Fax: (218) 720-3610 Email: rbrody@aerostich.com www.aerostich.com Tess Dandrea Lake Superior College Workforce & Community Development Dept. 2101 Trinity Road Duluth, MN 55811 Phone: (218) 733-7620 Fax: (218) 726-2720 Email: t.dandrea@lsc.edu Sanford (Sandy) C. Hoff F.I. Salter Co. Inc. 210 West Michigan Street, Suite 300 Duluth, MN 55802 Phone: (218) 722-5556 Fax: (218) 720-6684 Email: shoff@fisalter.com www.fisalter.com/ Ken Hogg, Duluth Airshow 1001 Bong Boulevard Duluth, MN 55811 Phone: (218) 727-4780 Email: duluthzephyr@gmail.com Leanne Joynes ZMC Hotels, Inc. 2305 West Superior Street Duluth, MN 55806 Phone: (218) 529-7718 Fax: (218) 529-9368 Email: ljoynes@zmchotels.com www.zmchotels.com Scott Keenan Grandma's Marathon P.O. Box 16234 Duluth, MN 55816 Phone: (218) 727-0947 Fax: (218) 727-7832 Email: scott@grandmasmarathon.com www.grandmasmarathon.com Will Munger, Jr. Historic Willard Munger Inn 7408 Grand Avenue Duluth, MN 55807 Phone: (218) 624-4814 Fax: (218) 624-8097 Email: munger@mungerinn.com www.mungerinn.com Jim Paquette Canal Park Lodge 250 Canal Park Drive Duluth MN 55802 Phone: (218) 279-6000 Fax: (218) 279-4055 Email: jpaquette@canalparklodge.com www.canalparklodge.com Jay Seiler Security Jewelers 307 West Superior Street Duluth, MN 55802 Phone: (218) 722-6633 Fax: (218) 722-9151 Email: jay@securityjewelers.com www.securityjewelers.com Ex-officio Ken Buehler Historic Union Depot 506 West Michigan Street Duluth, MN 55802 Phone: (218) 733-7590 Fax: (218) 733-7596 Email: kenbuehler@aol.com www.lsrm.org Dan Hartman Duluth City Council 330 City Hall 411 West First Street Duluth MN 55802 Phone: (218) 310-5356 Email: councilorhartman@gmail.com www.duluthmn.gov Denny Monson Spirit Mountain 9500 Spirit Mountain Place Duluth, MN 55810 Phone: (218) 624-8502 Fax: (218) 624-0213 Email: dmonson@spiritmt.com www.spiritmt.com Senator Roger Reinert 149 State Office Building 100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. St. Paul, MN 55155 Phone: (651) 296-4188 Email:sen.roger.reinert@senate.mn Jeff Stark DECC 350 Harbor Drive Duluth, MN 55802 Phone: (218) 722-5573 Fax: (218) 722-4247 Email: jstark@decc.org www.decc.org Sean Flaherty, director emeritus Perkins Family Restaurants (D&S Development) 63 East 2nd Street, Suite 200 Superior, WI 54880 Phone: (715) 392-3003 Email: sean@duluthperkins.com Riki McManus, director emeritus Upper Minnesota Film Office 21 West Superior Street, Suite 100 Duluth, MN 55802 Phone: (218) 940-3770 Email: rikimc@cpinternet.com

(2) "If you can't get High, take the Bong." In other words, if the High Bridge (aka Blatnik Bridge) is closed, take the Bong Bridge instead. Also, the concept of "getting bridged," which means getting stuck on one side of the Aerial Lift Bridge when it's raised and having to wait for a ship to pass under it before you can continue on your journey. "I got bridged" is a good (and probably true) excuse if you're late when traveling to or from Park Point.

vicarious

'Also, the concept of “getting bridged,” which means getting stuck on one side of the Aerial Lift Bridge when it’s raised and having to wait for a ship to pass under it before you can continue on your journey.' Also, calling out Chase for incomplete sentences and characterizing a common situation as a "concept". It's my own little petty war...

Also, sarcastically thanking Vicarious for helping PDD be less "political/trollish/argumentative" and less "irrelevant and icky," as promised.

Ramos

Also, the concept of people who criticize the grammar of others, when they themselves are unable to correctly distinguish between "its" and "it's".

Danny

To answer your third question: the WWF Superstars arcade machine in my garage.

Duke Skorich

A few years ago this was popular -- "There's nothing wrong with Duluth that a few good funerals wouldn't take care of." Now, of course, the very people about whom that was intended have indeed left us.

DaVe

Sorry to say- When there's no snow and it's 50 degrees in January, you have not experienced January in Duluth. We generally take pride in our weather, in a masochistic way. I hope the opportunity for that is not a thing of the past.

hurricanem

I second Ed @ Carmody as a great storyteller.